• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Resurrecting a M275 Tractor. HELP!!!

donkdonk

I am in the process of bringing this tractor back to life and have hit a brick wall.

aua

The tractor is a 1963 M275a1. Tead overhaul in 1986. LDT 465 1c, sprag.

A forestry service worker found an interesting way to get power to the tail lights in this truck and now I am lost. They had 3 wires just ran into the back of the light switch running to the back of the truck for the tail lights, not sure why. We tried hooking stuff back up but can not seem to get everything working.

From the searching that I have done the A1's have a different wiring harness and have non solid state blinkers, but it looks like this one is the newer style? Does it matter what tail lights you use? I am confused about the solid state/non solid state and the truck had no lights on the back when I got it.

Thanks for the help.

Attachments

Monkeyboyarmy

That looks like all of the standard wiring including the solid state flasher.I am thinking that the different harness that you refer to could have been the one with earlier style connectors with the metal fittings (douglas connectors?) instead of the rubber ones.You should be able to use any standard metal or composite light with the rubber connectors.I have an M275A2 if you need specific info or pictures.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your truck will have the rubber connectors. Originally it would have had the non solid state flasher box, but it has been upgraded to the solid state type. The wiring number codes are the same on both. Be aware the 275's have 2 brake light switches, the usual hydraulic one and a pressure switch as well. You have a very rare truck! The engine would have been a 427 originally.

donkdonk

You need to get a copy of the -20 that was printed in 1965. It has a good schematic of your trucks wiring. The 1965 TMs are the only ones that cover both the gassers and the multis. I used that manual to do the wiring modification for my M48A2 harness when I was putting it together. I used a regular M35A2 harness and added the wires with the correct numbers to fabricate a M275 style harness as described in the 1965 manual. Was not very hard to fabricate at all.
Well I found the it in the TM section, but pt2 will not open TM 9-2320-209-20_65-pt2 and I assume that is where this info is. At the end of part 3 there is a diagram of a M275a2 harness, but if there is more in pt2 I will continue searching. If anyone has a copy they can email me please let me know.

Thanks

Desert Deuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good luck with your M275Ax. With the 465 in it, it's now an A2. My M275A2 also had a A1 plate in it when I bought it, I've since changed the plate to an A2 plate.

Compared to the M35's the real M275's are truely rare. Looks like the rear deck is missing.

Some photos of mine below. It rides on 11x20's

Attachments

motorpoolmedic

I have quite a few forestry trucks, and the wiring is nasty. Some of them were partially converted to operate on 12v bulbs, (spaghetti wiring), multiple switches, etc... the best thing that I have found is to remove ALL non mil wiring and switches- and determine from there whether to repair or replace electrical items entirely. Hope this helps.

DavidB

M275 would have came with the gasser engine .Upgraded to the A1 with the 427 and A2 with one of the 465s.Mine has a serial number of 164276 also is a White Motors with a White Multifuel465-1c.
Good work on a worthy restoration they are one of the rare Deuces.
DavidB

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Since I am culling the herd I have decided to keep my M275 and do a complete restoration (and a few upgrades) on her.

The 816 and 915 have (most likely) been sold....that leaves the tractor and two deuces left in the Motor Pool.

As much as I love the big iron my back and budget can only support so much.

The tractor will pull my small van to go to rallys in, one deuce will continue to be the plow mule and the other will prob be bobbed for a frequent driver.

rwbrown72

Since I am culling the herd I have decided to keep my M275 and do a complete restoration (and a few upgrades) on her.

The 816 and 915 have (most likely) been sold....that leaves the tractor and two deuces left in the Motor Pool.

As much as I love the big iron my back and budget can only support so much.

The tractor will pull my small van to go to rallys in, one deuce will continue to be the plow mule and the other will prob be bobbed for a frequent driver.
Nice...I'll be watching for a resto thread!