• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Resurrecting an M108

Redpawn

Here goes the how to for getting your nuts off (giggidy) with out removing anything. Depending on how the truck is sitting you might need to jack up the opposite axle to the nut you are trying to remove. It needs to go up high enough to get the U bolt from in front of the nut. I removed the front nut as is but the rear one I had to jack up the front axle a few inches to get the spring pack to tilt a little. After that put your handy special socket in and put the porta power in between the tool and frame. After you get the nut broke loose you can use you second unmodified socket with an insert to go from 1/2 to 3/8 and a low profile ratchet. If you don't have a low pro ratchet and insert you could also just grab the socket with pliers and turn it out. Next put a bar against the bushing and use your BFH and give it a few love taps. I put a ratchet strap on the bar to hold it in place since I was working alone. After you get what's left of the bushing to pop out put your new bar in and put the nut back on the same way you got it off. To get the nut tight I put the tool I made on and used my calibrated torque hammer to tighten it up. Hope this helps.
IMG_20190319_182550.jpgIMG_20190319_183018.jpgIMG_20190319_183228.jpgIMG_20190319_183630.jpgIMG_20190319_183858.jpg

Redpawn

I got the two upper beams that fell out replaced as of now. When I tear down the M35 it has bushings that are in decent shape so I'll change the rest of them after it's apart.

Redpawn

I ran into a little dilemma. When I pulled the engine out of the M108 I didn't really pay it much attention. It's a multi fuel and it's got a big turbo same as the rest. But when looked at my M35 last night to get ready to pull the cab off I realized the turbo on the M108 is a monster compared to the M35. So here is my dilemma. Do I keep the M108 engine or swap in the M35 engine. I know the M35 engine is a relatively low hour depo over haul and it runs good plus I just had the pump gone through. The engine out of the M108 runs good but it smokes. I wondering if someone turned the fuel up on it because it smokes black when you step on it and it runs too good to have worn rings. Or do I keep the M35 engine and put that beast of a turbo on it. Thoughts? Here are the two engines and there tags.
IMG_20190311_201640.jpgIMG_20190330_170521.jpgIMG_20190330_170701.jpgIMG_20190330_170745.jpg

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So, the yellow one started as a naturally aspirated multifuel that was "turboed " at some point. That large turbo is off an LDS465-1A. It is impressive, but the D-turbo (the smaller non whistler) is more effective.

I'd look at the casting forward and below of the data plate for the TD letters indicating a stronger "thick deck" block and use that one.
I'd also look at the head gasket for signs of whether an antique or a new style is installed. Paranoid me would probably do headgaskets while the engine is out, as well as the rear main and clutch but that's me!

Up to your taste which turbo you want to install; both turbos work on either engine.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Redpawn

Thanks for the info. I just checked and the yellow motor does not have a TD cast in the block but the motor in the M35 does. If both turbo will do the same job I would rather run the smaller one because I already have a brand new exhaust on the M35 that fits it. How do I tell which head gasket I have?

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the info. I just checked and the yellow motor does not have a TD cast in the block but the motor in the M35 does. If both turbo will do the same job I would rather run the smaller one because I already have a brand new exhaust on the M35 that fits it. How do I tell which head gasket I have?
Old gasket:
When you look at the gap between block and head 6 tabs are sticking out. They are designed to let the gasket "vent". Oil can leak from there (it is intended to allow overpressure to vent off instead of blowing the gasket). The fire rings are separate (not that you could see that with the heads on).

old style gasket.jpg

New style gasket: The gasket has no protruding tabs. Fire rings are integrated.

new style gasket.jpg

(Pics from bunkerofdoom.com)

Last edited:

Redpawn

Looks like both engines have the old style head gaskets. Not sure if I'll change them right now but I'll defiantly put it on the list for future projects.

Redpawn

Finally got the M35 torn down. Now it's time to join the old with the new. Well newer anyway. I found these clap pieces in the M35 while tearing it down. I think they are some kind of recovery hook up but it looks like something is missing.
IMG_20190406_194805.jpgIMG_20190406_194753.jpg

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Those are tow bar feet. The chains are for clamping around the axle the others attach where the clevis’s are attached

Redpawn

Thanks everybody. 71DeuceAK I'm selling some of the stuff I know I won't need to give me money to work on the M108. Also to cut down on the amount of stuff in the yard.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks