• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

resurrection report

FreightTrain

Banned
well,took the deuce for a spin down to the local parts store(only a 2 mile trip) just a few minutes ago.9PSI boost,850 max EGTs,but about 1/4 mile into the trip I started getting a strong burning motor oil smell and started to see smoke in teh cab.The turbo to manifold gasket didn't fully seal and I guess I have leaking valve seals(or maybe it is the 2 gallons of 3 year old 15W40 I dumped in the tank with 20 gallons of diesel).Ran great smoked like a freight train,pulled hard too,No funky noises(yea,I can normally hear a slight problem even with all that engine racket!).

FreightTrain

Banned
ok,took it out on the highway.Pulls like a freaking freight train now.Backed out going up a hill when the needle passed 1050(Probe is in manifold).Boost got up to 9psi normally but hit 10PSI on the way home climbing one big hill.just before the top there is a green mile marker sign and all of us on the race team see how fast we can get to before the sign.Current Record is 75MPH.4 years ago when it was stock I could hit 25MPH(I hold the record for slowest) and today I hit 35MPH.New deuce record.You get on the highway from a side rod at the very bottom of the hill so it is a good test of wht your car/truck can do.I did smell burning pad material both out there and back.I don't think I have any brakes dragging.No smoke and no drums abnormally hot.Either the clutch is slipping(I can stall in 1st so I don't think it is the clutch) or the Parking brake is dragging(cable is rusted up).I also checked all the hubs and I think I need to back off a flat cause the rears were all hot.Not scalding but I wouldn't hold on for long.Gotta figure out why I have 1/3 of a turn of play in the wheel.Gotta get someone to turn the wheel while I see if the pitman arm is moving so I can judge if it is the box or stearing linkages.Lastly,I have gotta get new tires.Those miss matched rubber donuts that once were considered tires are horrible.Bouncy,Vibrating,wondering all over the place.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
good data points on the soup-up job! I have had a warm hub after the highway (170 deg), only to find that although the brakes were adjusted correctly, they still did drag just a little.

FreightTrain

Banned
ok,I would say they wasn't 170.I could touch them without a lot of pain but it still was hot to the touch.I would say about 140-150 Degree.I need to break out my Nitro Pyro and check them.Few more little things to fix here and there but that is the whole reason behind shake down runs.So far the list includes....

Adjust the bearing pre loads
replace the parking brake cable
matching tires
Replace horn button
Figure out why the water temp slowly climbs to over 200 degrees
hook up the slave plug wires
replace the drivers side headlight(dim don't work but high beam does).
Figure out if I am gonna get hassled cause of my shift knob(Frag Grenade welded to shifter) when i try to get on a base