• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Retro-fitting an Air Dryer...

Rolling_Eudaimonia

Okay, my brakes froze this weekend in about 10-20 degree weather. I don't have the alcohol evaporator, so I manually loading the tanks. It didn't seem to work so well I think the alcohol settled to the bottom of the tanks on the warmer days and didn't make to the back of my brakes at least on one side. So they froze in the closed position. Found this out driving around.

So I'm curious if any of you have put in an air drying unit on the Deuce. If so what size do you recommend for this system.

Thanks

bgekky3

I don't what size of air dryer is need, but this is what I came up with on short notice. I am moving and should have left a few days ago, so I am behind schedule and don't have time to make it pretty. It is a few spare parts I found in the garage while packing. I will let you know if it works.

Attachments

Jones

I'm running a Bendix AD-9 on the baby HEMTT and am happy with it. It has an automatic purge on compressor start and stop, and a built-in heater. It's also practically eliminated to need to drain the reservoirs daily and brake line icing is a thing of the past.

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
I understand why freezing in the air system would be and issue, but I don't see how it would affect the brakes differently based on side of the truck. (The air doesn't "go" to the brakes)

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I understand why freezing in the air system would be and issue, but I don't see how it would affect the brakes differently based on side of the truck. (The air doesn't "go" to the brakes)
You are right. I didn't catch that part of his post untill I read your's and went back and re-read his. Ice in the air system would affect the brakes as a whole but not individual wheels.

bottleworks

I'm running a Bendix AD-9 on the baby HEMTT and am happy with it.
Agreed. The AD-9 air dryer is industry standard. It's extremely simple to rebuild and the cartridge is about $40. The heater is available for 24 or 12 Volts. I have one that I rebuilt last fall to install on the Deuce. Just haven't had time to install it yet. :cry:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks