• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Retrospect, Deuce Repower

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was thinking the other day about how I jump into things. Over the years I've dabbled in many a different MV. It wasn't until around 2000 that I really started concentrating on deuces. I had big dreams and little change. I bought a 1952 M275 gasser from Dave Newman for $750. Took me a few months to go fetch it but the wife and I soon did. That's the infamous pic of me towbaring it with my crew cab. I had big ideas of bringing it home, nursing it back to health and repowering with a multifuel. Well, things never came together on that poor old truck and I ended up selling it to the swamp buggy crowd to sacrifice for the axles. Thinking back of how prepared I was then compared to how prepared I was for the wrecker repower, I know that tractor had no chance. On the other hand I've been so blessed with finding the right stuff at the right price and just finding the wrecker that there was no way I wouldn't succeed. I guess what I've learned here and the bottom line is that if you're just busting into the hobby, might do yourself a favor and get a runner first to play with before jumping into a huge project. At least now we have the benefit of this wonderful website and the deep knowledge base that goes with it.

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
They were made concurrently for a period of time. Production was in full swing for the Reo Eager Beaver in 1950 although I've never came across a 1950. I have seen 1951s though. IIRC, the GMCs were last made in 1953 but thats a guess.

mangus580

Kenny, its amazing what a few years of knowledge does for you huh? Its funny, 3 years ago, I didnt know a deuce from a hole in the wall, and even same for that matter with the 1009 (although I have owned chevy trucks for almost 15 years). The amount of people that as ME for information, and trust MY opinion is really amazing :)

Also helps just owning one for a while, as people just start telling you where they saw stuff....

Not to mention this wonderful network of friends we have here!!

red devils dude

kenny
Then there's peple like me who buy what they can(man I scored, perfect body, not runing) and just jump in head first
and then never waiver from the hobby I want MORE mv's :mrgreen: but your rigth about finding right stuff at the right price
if spacergear hadnt sold me his engine I wouldnt have a runing truck for quite some time.

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
Recovry4x4 said:
I guess what I've learned here and the bottom line is that if you're just busting into the hobby, might do yourself a favor and get a runner first to play with before jumping into a huge project.
you talking to me? :)

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hope I didn't hurt any feelings, just describing my plight. Joel, you and Jed are both more patient than I am. I just don't have the patience to do what you guys are doing. The only reason the pipeline truck stayed as long as it did was because I have another running deuce. It really hurt me when I discovered that there was no more life in the gasser in the wrecker. Luckily things fell in place and I got the stuff to do the swap. 2 parts trucks in the yard never hurts either. You know, my gasser tractor even ran after fooling with it for a week or two. Perhaps I just have no patience with gas stuff!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks