• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Retry- Questions about M915A1

eldgenb

No I'm not looking for a concrete truck, that's why I changed posts. I would prefer the 916, but I'm happy with a 915 or 915A1. The 920 sounds nice, but I haven't seen any of these other models, and I love the looks of the 915A1 so that's what I'm shooting for. Lockers are a great thing, but since I'm running my own truck on my own schedule, I can avoid bad weather since the DOT is pretty good down here, and if not I've got some experience with snow and traction LOL. I don't really need more capacity than the 915A1 can pull, that should be plenty. Like before the 915A1 is what I'm looking for, but for a comparable price, I would definitely not say no to a better stronger truck! :grin:

Adam
915,916, and 920 come across gl all the time, the others are a little more rare, if you are patient you will see some really nice ones come across, the only upside is the allison auto in the 915 is tits, the cat 16spd is nice but can be problematic, the nice thing is when it does die just put a 10 spd manual or something in its place.

PorscheTech911

Very cool I'll wait to find a good one, hopefully GL and the gov't won't pull these off like they did the Deuce. I'd like to have the Allison trans, but I'll take anything I can get!

916operator

i drove a 916 for 7 of the 8 years i was in the guard . i loved the 16 speed,never had any problems with the one in our co. but several in the others did. one draw back was after a certain rpm it would neutralize. the one i drove was a 1980 model with a BC I 400 Cummins.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Which transmissions mate up and fit this truck?
All of them. By that I mean: The "Big Cam" Cummins engines were the dominant player in OTR trucking for many years until being unseated by the Detroit 11 and 12 liter engines. Just about every transmission appropriate for that hp and torque will fit, with the correct bellhousing, flywheel and pilot bearing.

PorscheTech911

All of them. By that I mean: The "Big Cam" Cummins engines were the dominant player in OTR trucking for many years until being unseated by the Detroit 11 and 12 liter engines. Just about every transmission appropriate for that hp and torque will fit, with the correct bellhousing, flywheel and pilot bearing.
That's what I like to hear! Thanks NDT! Here's another question, If I switched to super singles or HEMTT wheels, would the taller tires affect my ability to get under the trailer for hook up?

The PIG Smith

915,916, and 920 come across gl all the time, the others are a little more rare, if you are patient you will see some really nice ones come across, the only upside is the allison auto in the 915 is tits, the cat 16spd is nice but can be problematic, the nice thing is when it does die just put a 10 spd manual or something in its place.
I apologize in advance to dredging up an older post, but I've been searching the SS forum to learn more about the M-915.
This is an excellent posting about the M-915, I've learned much and has got me thinking. (which can be a dangerous thing!)

I have mixed ideas about the Allison.
Some say they hurt the performance of the Cummins 400 and other say not.
The 915 that I rode in were all equipped with Cat 16 speeds.
The only larger vehicle I've ever driven that was automatic was a M-577 (command post carrier version of the M-113) and a School Bus.

The big Allison should be serviceable at any big rig shop, whereas the Cat unit...well, I dunno if my local Cat dealer would even know where to start.

The 915's I see listed on GL are the A1 models with the Allison.
I think if I were able to get a EUC approved in time to bid on one, then I will just run the Allison.

You mentioned about installing a 10 speed manual in a 915 when the slush box dies.
I think that would simple to get a RoadRanger unit from Big Rig Bone yard,
but how would a person solve the issue of a clutch pedal assembly?
If my question should be asked in a new posting, then let me know and I create one.

KsM715

I think if I were able to get a EUC approved in time to bid on one, then I will just run the Allison.
You dont do an EUC before bidding. You bid, then if you are the high bidder in the end you fill out the EUC and wait to see if it gets approved.

By the way if you see some on GL do not post about them till after the auction is over.

Last edited:

cundupa

I know that" M920" put a Road Ranger 13 speed in his M920 truck, replacing the Cat 7155. I think he used Kenworth T900 pedals and linkage.

fasttruck

1. M915a1 has a full auto trans.
2. Provision is made for ice control: I remember an alcohol kit.
3. M915's come with stud piloted wheels with 22.5 radial tires. .4. 4. 5th wheel is 48" high with 2.5" pin same as the peterbilts.
5. Has 12 volt lighting with provision for 24v trailer hookup. Has two
intervehicular electric lines: 1 for 12v and 1 for 24 v.
6. Many brake parts are straight commercial items as are seals and bearings a lternator is different as it makes 12 and 24 volts.

mikeyapproved

Cummins details....

Hi.

Just some info for everyone....

The Cummins that is 855 Cu In comes in HP ranges from 220 to over 500

The natural aspirated are really old school, date back to at least the 60's

Neat thing is, any 855 should be able to fit in place of any other 855, with a few mods. ( Front engine mount, turbo room, height with jake brake is taller etc)

The Turbo charged engines like was mentioned start at around 290 HP and go up from there. One thing, you may need to do some hood mods to fit the turbo if the truck did not come with one to start with.

If money is no object, find a good used N14 Electronic in the 525 HP spec! Then get the computer reworked! 700 easy.:-D Or you could build an 855 based on Pittsburgh Power - Pittsburgh Power info and have well over 1000 HP... Ok 1000 HP in a 6x6 is probably dumb... ;-) anyway continuing on...

All 855's are close enough to the same weight, that swapping from that standpoint is not an issue. Transmission mounting holes are the same in all 855's unless you are playing with a few rare applications (Ford comes to mind)

Just keep in mind that if you do add HP, everything downstream is worked harder:wink:

Keep in mind that it is not wise to "Just add a turbo" to your Naturally Aspirated Cummins. The non turbo engines have different pistons and usually they DO NOT have piston cooling provisions. This can end in a calamity if attempted...

One last point on "Ice Control" mentioned in a previous post? Many trucks that work in cold climates have an Alcohol evaporator system installed. This is to help prevent the Air System from freezing and has nothing to do with traction at the tires.

mikey

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks