• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Reupholstering a bench seat in Mt M1028

flyfishtrailer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello Experts..... I am about to pick up my first MV with an engine (I have a few trailers). It is a 1984 M1028. I have been reading a ton of stuff in here already and look forward to bringing it back to its original condition (maybe a few minor tweaks). It is still in the 24v configuration and still camo. Less then 28,000 miles on the odometer and runs beautifully. Was owned by a state fire agency at one time but never painted so I am assuming they never put it into service. It seems to have almost no body rust and may have been stored indoors for a period of time (also in California that tends to keep vehicles rust free). I am excited to get this project started.

One thing I will need to do sooner than later is reupholster the bench seat. I searched through SS and found nothing that would help me and nothing I could find in the numerous TM's in that section. I am hoping someone can answer this simple question. What is the reddish brown color of the seat material called. I have looked at some restoration sights and they list all the GM/Chevy interior colors, but it is hard to tell what the military had as there are several that are close (and of course I am sure my trucks has also faded a bit over the years). Any help (pictures and a new thread coming when I get the truck) would be greatly appreciated.

I am attaching a link to a company that shows all of the GM/Chevy colors

General Motors Interior Colors charts for all models and years (leathermagic.com)

pmramsey

I did not change anything on my M1028A2 other than the interior colors, LED tail lights, mud flaps with European required reflecting decals, and updated headlights all of which were to improve visibility in civilian enviroments.

Attachments

flyfishtrailer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I did not change anything on my M1028A2 other than the interior colors, LED tail lights, mud flaps with European required reflecting decals, and updated headlights all of which were to improve visibility in civilian enviroments.
That's nice, did you find replacement dash and door panels or did you just color the existing ones?

pmramsey

These additional photos on the 2nd M1028 show what I did to the exterior to make it more functional for my needs. I replaced the original bed with a standard M101A2 trailer bed. I gained a far better tarping system for the bed that included stake sides and rear gates. The tires became Mikey Thomspon, Baja Claw, 285 x 85R x 16 tires which were more self cleaning that the original tires. This was accomplished without a lift kit. The M101A2 trailer finally looked as if it actually belonged behind a working CUCV.

Attachments

pmramsey

The interior stuff is all new dash panels, door panels, seat covers. The seats were in good shape only faded and cracked in places. I did not so much as remove the old seat covers. The cab was gutted and repainted after stripping the cab floor and recovering with padded aluminum foil sound deafening materal, a jute layer, followed by a new but original type CUCV floor mat. I replaced the step plates, door seals all around, and returned to service.

I have no idea where the bucket seats originated or what vehicles they might have been used on or when. I won 14 of them in a Gov Liquidation auction about 2011. I built out a total of three M1028s with the bucket seat configuration with the M101A2 beds and Mikey Thompson tires, two of which also had 10,000 lb heavy duty Warn winches with air compressors that mounted on 2 inch rear receivers. The brackets I found commercially but I have no memory where. My employees adored their personal use trucks on the job every day.

Attachments

flyfishtrailer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Those are awesome!. Not sure if mine will get that cool, but it will be my first start. I am handy, but no mechanic so things will go slow as I learn more. I have looked around, but haven't actually found a website that sells new dash/door panels so if you have one you could list or PM me that would be great.

pmramsey

All the interior panels, seat covers, door seals, floor mats, etc. were purchased online at lmctrucks.com out of Kansas. Good luck. Enjoy the work and the ride.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks