• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Reverse / Backup Camera

Ford Mechanic

The owner of the dealership here was checking out a brand new car's reverse camera and backed it into another vehicle! Needless to say it made a trip to the body shop. Common sense goes along way.

I have had them on several vehicles. You get what you pay for. Get the cheep wireless one from Pep Boys, and you will hate it. The one on my full size Chevy cargo van is great. It is the one from Pioneer, and was a bit pricey

Keith_J

I have one on my M1031 (CUCV contact truck, http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...tury-backup-cam-and-cupholders&highlight=21st). It is a no-name import off Amazon with IR illumination. That part overheats on summer nights so I just removed that feature by desoldering the LEDsin the camera. But for around $50 for both the camera and display, it is worth it. The display is mounted to the radio bracket on the dash, just a bit of left bias. Visible in all but bright light so tinted side windows may be required.

I'll see if I can pull a link. Dang it, I found it but cannot copy paste. Search CUCV for 21st century.

Last edited:

olbucksnort

Well, Today our Electrical Girl backed her F450 utility body up at Mach 1 speed and tore off the front end of our #1 Ace HVAC mechanic's Sprinter. Our big City School's fleet only has Back up Alarms (No sensors or cameras ). I just feel grateful I can afford one on my M35 , and pray it serves me well.

TehTDK

My last company car had the full parking suite with sensors and a visual readout on the dash when I reversed or was going forwards at a slow speed. As much as I hate to admit it, I actually liked it since it was a nice bit of reassurance to have ;). My "new" did come with parking sensors originally, but after a collegue of mine performed 2 roadkills with the car one of the sensors has come loose. And every time I try to turn on the system all I get is a high pitched whine as if I am about to rear-end someone. Suffice to say I am getting that system fixed when its going in for servicing again....

quickfarms

The DOT bumper requirement went into affect some time in the 90's. vehicles built before that that are not used commercially are not required to retrofit.

Than being said mine is inserted into my 2 1/2" hitch and is there to protect my tool boxes.

If your overhang extends more than 4 feet behind you lights you could have an issue.

1954 COE

I installed the back up camera system on my M925A2. It has a 7" color LCD monitor with 2 ea. infrared CCD/LED camera's that each have 120 degrees of view ea.
They are both mounted on the back of the truck and I made brackets that allowed me to install them directly under the brake light assembly's. It came with 2ea.
20 meter cables which screw together to make a more water tight seal. This set up was 12/24 volt. Bought them on the auction site and it was around $150.00
shipped. I plan on putting a set on the front which has just as bad a blind spot as the back with the over hang of the front winch and bumper. I'll post some pictures
later this week.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks