• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Reverse Lights Wiring

rcb

Hello... Getting ready to install a back up switch and lights on my M998. I have a good idea of what to expect from all the good posts here,
but before I get down and greasy, just wondering where you pick up power for the lights ? Is there a wire waiting for me to plug into or will
I need to splice into something ?
Thanks...
Bob

rcb

Just happened to think of something else, will I need to remove the shifter to install the reverse switch or can I install from underneath ?

Wire Fox

You'll have to remove the shifter unless you're a model sailboat-in-a-bottle enthusiast. Be extremely carefully with removing the shifter from the shift boot, as the boot tears extremely easily and also sticks to everything very easily. I've heard on several occassions, people installing a Y-splice connector at the horn itself to power the backup lights, since it's convenient to access and also switches off during blackout light mode.

3jacks

There isn't a wire waiting for you but you do have power there to splice into...gear selector light I think is how some do it. Probably better to pull the unit (clean and lube it) and that rubber boot can get roached. It's a 2 man job to get that unit out...4 bolts hold it in but unless you have really long arms you'll need some one underneath to help get the nuts off.

papakb

I wired my reverse lights to the gear position indicator lights in the shifter for 2 reasons. First that the wire is already there and second that if I don't want them to come on all I have to do is turn off the dash lights at the main light switch.

orgnal

Hello... Getting ready to install a back up switch and lights on my M998. I have a good idea of what to expect from all the good posts here,
but before I get down and greasy, just wondering where you pick up power for the lights ? Is there a wire waiting for me to plug into or will
I need to splice into something ?
Thanks...
Bob
I did mine without removing the shifter. There is small bump in the rubber boots, close to the neutral safety switch. The reverse light switch goes there. Pushing the reverse light switch against that bump and turning it a few times again the hole in the shifter made a perfect round hole in the rubber boot. I tapped into the horn's +ve pretty close to the horn for power.

McReddy

LouWon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You don't have to remove the shifter assembly, but you should get a new rubber boot and replace the gear selector light if yours is not in good shape, look at fleabay
I added some pictures of the shifter, underneath view and I also installed Rigid back up lights, much better than the cube lights, they are flush mount and are really bright, buy the small ones, and cut the pattern out.
IMG_1528 (1).jpgIMG_1414.jpg

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Use a fused link in the battery box with a relay. I use the neutral switch to switch the ground on the relay coil and activate the reverse light when shifted to that position.

Wire Fox

I recently purchased a reverse light kit on ebay - I dont have it just yet so I cant comment on how the install goes.

What the guy said in the description is that the Ambulance HMMWV has a reverse light, and that it taps power from the horn circuit.

You can view the item and description here http://www.ebay.com/itm/HMMWV-HUMMER-H1-REVERSE-BACK-UP-LIGHT-KIT/162534154085
That kit is complete and the instructions are sound. It's great for having everything you need in one shot, but you can also buy all the stuff to do it for far less (about 1/4 the price) at Erik's Military Surplus and have spare parts left over.

Jayo

That kit is complete and the instructions are sound. It's great for having everything you need in one shot, but you can also buy all the stuff to do it for far less (about 1/4 the price) at Erik's Military Surplus and have spare parts left over.
Hi Wire Fox,

Thanks for that, i will check out Erik's Military surplus the next time.

Im a newbie here so Im still trying to find my way around, I just found the instructions on the ebay listing useful - mind you we will see how my install goes!!!!

My big problem is that Im based in Ireland and its hard to get parts shipped from the States - but thanks for the steer.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks