• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Reverse the Bypass of the Injector COmpensator?

acetomatoco

Ya all looks at the manuals for the original.. it goes into the compensator with a bypass and then to the IP... it is just a unit which checks viscosity and compensates for it... no reason to change it from Diesel only unless you have an emergency... and it does not work well to begin with.. smoke, puke, low mileage etc..

McVeyMac

Thanks Lee, Thanks acetomatoco.

My experience with straight diesels is that you should be able to run up to 50% kerosene mixed with diesel without the viscosity compensator engaged. Are you both of the same opinion??

Walt

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
No, the multifuel motor is multifuel compatable. The FDC just makes adjustments for btu ratings of different fuels, to keep the output power the same.

bottleworks

You can still use different fuels with the FDC bypassed. The FDC doesn't make it a Multifuel engine, the engine itself does. IMO, It's better to keep it bypassed then to risk fuel getting in the oil.

houdel

FDC bypassed or not, straight waste engine oil is just too thick to run on. You run the risk of damaging your hydraulic head due to over pressure as straight WEO will not flow fast enough to stay ahead of the high pressure plungers. In effect, you can create a hydrostatic lock like condition in your hydraulic head. Most postings in the alternative fuels forum suggest using no more than 50% WEO/50% Diesel in summertime temps and 25% WEO/75% Diesel in cold temps. Kerosene will give you a little better safety factor due to its lower viscosity.

McVeyMac

Lee,

My question did not refer to WEO but mixing kerosene with no.2 diesel. My opinion is that you should be able to run 100% kerosene, or 100% no. 2 diesiel, or any mixture of the two with the compensator in the bypass configuration. Is this opinion correct?

Walt

houdel

Yes, you are correct. However, with the FDC bypassed, the engine will not be able to compensate for the reduced heat content of kerosene (or #1 Diesel, they are very nearly the same, except for the road tax and dye) and your power output will be reduced. With the FDC operational, it will recognize that you are running kerosene or #1 diesel and compensate by increasing fuel flow rate to maintain a constant power output from the engine. With the FDC bypassed, YOU will have to compensate manually via your right foot!

McVeyMac

Great, thats what I thought.

Thank you, as always, for your thoughtfull, and always, technically correct information. I always value your attention to detail in your discussions.

More questions concerning the compensator, RE- The oil filter sticker warning concerning the bypassed compensator:

1. How s it that running the fuel through the compensator results in fuel contamination of the crank case oil?
2. How is this condition corrected so the compensator does not have to be by-passed?

Thanks,

Walt

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Inside the FDC there is (if I remeber correctly) an area that is metal to metal. Once that wears, it lets fuel seep into the oiling system. No way to tell when that will happen. To fix it, you need to bypass the FDC, or replace it.

houdel

McVeyMac said:
Thank you, as always, for your thoughtfull, and always, technically correct information. I always value your attention to detail in your discussions.
Thanks for the compliment. I must admit though that I am not ALWAYS correct, especially when relying on memory, but I do try to be as correct as possible.

The short answer as how fuel gets from the FDC into the crankcase is quite simple. The FDC is attached to the top of the injection pump. The injection pump is lubricated with engine oil. Should a seal or gasket on the FDC fail it will allow fuel (which is under pressure) to leak into the lubricated portion of the IP, mix with the engine oil, and then make its way back to the crankcase. Not an extremely common problem, but it does occur frequently enough to be a recognizable issue.