• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Review of Telephonics Netcom Intercom System

IroncladGA

I couldn't find much out there about this system, so I have done some tinkering and thought I would provide a report in case it helps someone else in the future.

I picked one of the crew boxes up not knowing much about it. I couldn't find any instructions online and there are no info plates on the unit. As noted in an earlier post, I was able to confirm voltage is 9V to 33V DC. I had to open it up to confirm power pinout which comes in from a u-229 power port at J1. Pin Aishwarya ground and pin F is hot. I did not have a suitable 6 pin u-229 cable, so I had to sacrifice a Racal RA480 mic to make one. I connected to a 24v power supply. With some reluctance, I powered it up, and nothing lights up. There is no obvious power switch on the unit, so I began messing with the controls. I toggle the WAP switch left, and it lights up as shown in first pic.

I toggle the switch to the right, and it lights up like the 2nd pic.

My takeaway is that there are 2 programmable modes that can be selected by toggling the WAP switch.

As far as functionality is concerned, I do not know what the pins on the left do, but I presume they connect to a LAN or other commo systems. The middle and far right U-229s on the bottom of the box are crew station connectors that you can use to connect a standard vic3 bailout cable so that you can have a 2-person intercom. From this perspective it is a much smaller footprint system with only one crew box needed compared to a VIC1 or VIC3.

I tried the system first with a H-364 headset, but the audio was terrible and mic pickup was very staticky. I was discouraged. I then tried it with a Racal Ra5000 headset and the audio and mic were crystal clear. The H-364 works with my VIC-3, so not sure why it doesn't work well with this system.

The 2 U-229s on the right side of box can be connected to radios or wireless access points from what I read. I don't have either, so have not tested. I tried connecting a headset directly, but got nothing.

The mic and volume settings can be adjusted using the stacked knobs. Headset 1 is the larger base knob and headset 2 is the smaller knob. The graphic at the bottom center of the face of the unit indicates the relationship of the knobs.

The transmit and monitor setting gsa can be changed by switching to the desired channel and pushing down on the transmit or monitor button.

In general, it is a great, modern, small footprint, 2-person intercom system with crisp audio. I do not think it is easily expandable to more than 2 stations without additional hardware that may be unobtainium in the civilian market. I will post more as I mess with it. I eventually want to mess with the radio interface. If anyone has other thoughts to share, particularly as it relates to adding or using the wireless access points or headsets, please share.

Wire Fox

Thanks for a being a pioneer on this modern mystery! I'll keep my eyes open for any documentation or other specimens so that we might be able to learn more about this system. I implore you to call and pester Telephonics as much as you can in order to get ahold of some kind of operator's guide, as some companies are polite enough to do so. They told you voltage input range, so I wouldn't put it past them.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
check out this article as they are current on the JLTV:
http://www.militaryaerospace.com/ar...s-communications-system-for-jltv-program.html

Website with some info:

https://www.telephonics.com/product/netcom

Brochure is attached. Does not look like they use a master station but can daisy chain together. Not sure if you need the computer to do that? THe cables for the radio ports look like the "twist" ones on Tocnet from cobham. Wireless feature looks way cool. Probably unobtainum. Ebay has some of the individual wireless boxes shown in the brochure.

Most be very profitable business as 3 major companies have competing systems- VIC3, Tocnet and this.

How did you score this treasure? :)

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks