• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Revisit the old Hydraulic Head conversation

Patruck

Good Day SS
I need to see if we can refresh the Hydraulic Head conversation.
I purchased a truck from a Great guy In NJ fully understanding that there was a fuel leak at the HH the leak was not unmanageable. In an attempt to repair leak, a rubber oring was installed at the Fuel Delivery Bolt. The leak was hardly noticeable at high rmp. UNTIL.

The Fuel supply bolt had been over tightened at some point developing a crack or structurally weakening it after 300 miles it split and she sputtered and cut off. I noticed an alarming amount of fuel everywhere. Touched the FD screw and half of it fell off. Took a bit to get the other half out. Replaced screw with one that another Deucer brought me and it got me home still leaking exuberant amounts of fuel but ran long enough to get from NJ to GA. Now home I need to fix this problem.

Many i have talked with suggest that the HH will crack at that screw and cause a leak like mine.

Also herd that the screw can be replaced, the screw that is being used now is off a original HH so it is OLD. OLD, donor truck parked 38yrs.

So insight on this subject would be great.

Replace HH? If so, some direction to supplier would be nice.

Pump runs fine no sticking just leaking alot.

Screenshot_2015-03-04-16-14-27.jpgScreenshot_2015-03-04-18-58-44.jpg

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I'm working with another member that has this issue. The problem is these have a lapped fit and it isn't easy to find a plug that fits well.

When Mine cracked, it took me 8 different plugs to find one that didn't leak.
You might find one that fits, but consider yourself lucky. It might be quicker/easier to swap out the head.

There are china ones on egay. Many have been happy with them.

Jeepsinker

Anything is possible with 30-40 year old components that hold thousands of pounds of pressure and cycle thousands of times per minute. Your best bet is to replace the HH.

Patruck

Fleabay the only option? Tell me there is a local mom and pop shop I can support?
Dont want the whole IP just the HH.
The thought of a asian part keeping my OD steel running just sit wrong with me.

welldigger

Put a wanted ad up in the classifieds. Every now and then a member has a n.o.s ambac hh they are willing to part with.

Patruck

Gimpyrobb if you do have one call me 706-206-0532 and give me a price shipped 30705. While I am there I am going to replac orings. Best place for those? Try keep it state side.

Jeepsinker

I dd my truck. When you drive them this much you are going to have problems eventually, albeit maybe less problems than a truck that sits most of the time. Mine decided to start puking gear oil out of the transfer case air switch onto my foot and accelerator pedal today. The best thing you can do is start stocking up on spare new and used parts and carry some with you.
Pretty sure I'm going to have to pull my floor pan and dismantle my transfer case vent before I go home.

rustystud

I dd my truck. When you drive them this much you are going to have problems eventually, albeit maybe less problems than a truck that sits most of the time. Mine decided to start puking gear oil out of the transfer case air switch onto my foot and accelerator pedal today. The best thing you can do is start stocking up on spare new and used parts and carry some with you.
Pretty sure I'm going to have to pull my floor pan and dismantle my transfer case vent before I go home.
Time to do the differential and transmission and transfer case air vent tubing install.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks