• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Reviving a multifuel

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gimpy, is that the motor you got from me several years ago? That radiator patch job looks familiar.

eagle4g63

Ok, I have read the threads you posted and I am still confused. After really looking over the housing and the thermostat, it appears that when open it closes one loop and when it is closed it closed off the other loop.....I have heard that with NO thermostat it should run cold, I have also read that with NO thermostat it will run hot....

Which is it.....does anybody KNOW for a FACT?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
How are you measuring the temperature?

Last edited:

eagle4g63

With the engine gauge, would always run on the colder side with the fan I have....so I know it is getting hotter than it should.....plus the fact that it started steaming out the overflow tube......and blew out at least a gallon of fluid.

The gauge is saying it is climbing over 200 and normally I would never see the 200 mark. I didn't have my IR with me to get an exact measure....didn't think cooling was going to be an issue when I went out to put the motor in.....I did have the radiator reworked and checked at a good shop. The water pump is a new one, used on my other motor but still like new....

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I spoke with M35tom today. He said the thermostat housing is chambered. If the thermostat doesn't open all the way, it can allow coolant to bypass the radiator. Also, if there is no thermostat, the water will circulate in the motor only and not make it to the rad.

Just another member's input. I'd pull the thermostat housing to be sure.

eagle4g63

That's kind of what I was thinking when I was looking at the housing and thermostat......Gonna go get a new thermostat and seal and install them in my extra housing before I head back.....

eagle4g63

Ok, so some playing around with my spare housing and an old thermostat.....it is clear that the thermostat housing is chambered.....the thermostat in these things acts like a valve, not like a normal car motor....open/close......but more like a switch....send water to chamber "A" or chamber "B".....

Now the funny part...chamber "A" leads back to the water pump....which is pulling suction on chamber "A"(when thermostat is closed)......chamber "B" however leads to the radiator...should be a "push" to the radiator since it is the top.....when thermostat is open the water pump is putting suction on the lower radiator hose instead of Chamber "A"(which is blocked off by the thermostat)....creating the flow from the housing to go through chamber "B" to the top of the radiator.

Follow so far? I hope so...

Now if you REMOVE the thermostat you remove the switching action and the water pump is putting suction on BOTH the lower radiator and chamber "A" in the housing....the problem is that with no GATE the water pump in turn is putting suction on every side of the thermostat housing so it is also trying to draw water from the top of the radiator and the water jacket from the motor.....get where I am going with this? basic physics will dictate that the water will be fighting to go ANY direction since it is being pulled from all directions.....

I have a new thermostat on it's way and the housing has a brand new seal in it so I will be putting things back together with the new parts and things should be right as rain!!!!

I will post back when all is done.....might be a few days....truck is 5 hours from me. And my schedule is unruly.

eagle4g63

Thanks for the link doghead....it does seam weird that so many people have a cool running truck without a thermostat....just doesn't make sense.

Anyway, definitely taking my IR with me when I go back.....just also going to put in a new thermostat.....I'm the kind of guy that will forget about it till winter and then when it is cold and bitter, won't want to do it but will complain like an "A" every time I get about it!!!

Also going to go over the grounds again, make sure I didn't do something stupid....I've been having that trouble for a little while...

XchaosX

I was having the same problem running hot. I drained my coolant that looked like crap and flushed the system a few times. Put on a coolant filter and filled with new coolant. The truck was still running hot. I checked my radiator fins and they were prettty plugged up with gunk. I blew it out with air and then power washed it. The truck runs much cooler now. I think my radiator is plugged up inside a little cause of temp differences across the radiator.

rustystud

Thanks for the link doghead....it does seam weird that so many people have a cool running truck without a thermostat....just doesn't make sense.

Anyway, definitely taking my IR with me when I go back.....just also going to put in a new thermostat.....I'm the kind of guy that will forget about it till winter and then when it is cold and bitter, won't want to do it but will complain like an "A" every time I get about it!!!

Also going to go over the grounds again, make sure I didn't do something stupid....I've been having that trouble for a little while...
The thermostat is used to get the engine up to operating temperature, not keep it cool. You will need to replace the thermostat before winter or you will never get your engine warmed up .