• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rewire 3 phase gen to 1 phase?

SandBar

Full Time Patriot
So my MEP802a has that handy little selector behind the panel to select 1 or 3 phase.

Well this bigger unit (an oddball model) doesn't have that sort of selector. It is presently setup for 3 phase.

After much research the generator is a Olympian D17L1, and the CAT dealer verified the alternator is 1 phase capable. The issue is the manual doesn't exist and I don't know what leads to change to get it onto 1 phase correctly.

I know the wires on these lugs need to be changed over. Anyone have experience in this? Thanks.

Attachments

SandBar

Full Time Patriot
Why is FF labeled as single phase? Wouldn't it be 110 across L and M, and 220 across L and L? I thought that was a double delta.

I want whats best for the life of the alternator :D

SandBar

Full Time Patriot
Looking at using a big 25kva 3 phase transformer so i dont lose 30% of the kw output. Anyone go that route?

Scoobyshep

I wouldnt go the transformer route unless needed. Is this actually a 12 lead head?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

SandBar

Full Time Patriot
It is a 12 lead head, my issue is chsanging from 3 phase to 1 phase de-rates it by 30 percent. Thats a huge loss in terms of total kw. Other than a bigger generator what other options are there?

Scoobyshep

Winding wise you should be able to get your full load. Control-wise it depends on how the generator is set up for the ones that use CT monitoring it's going to go off for the old trip set points. Another thing you really have to watch out for is what else is wired to that head that might be affected such as control systems and the voltage-regulator

Scoobyshep

I did this conversion to a mep004 which is rated for 15000 Watts and the last time I load Banked it ran for four hours at 240 volt 72 amps (17200 watt)

SandBar

Full Time Patriot
Did you use heater elements? It ran with a power factor of 1 at 17.2kw in single phase? That is impressive.

Scoobyshep

Did you use heater elements? It ran with a power factor of 1 at 17.2kw in single phase? That is impressive.
Keep in mind that the Mil generators are rated lower then their actual power (vs a consumer set). my test rig is 3 5.5kw dryer elements attached to a 220 blower. PF rating i believe (and make no warranties to the accuracy of this statement) is .8. I didnt want to push any higher as I dont know how well the overcurrent protection works on this set.