• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

reworking fuel pedal... what is your thoughts

coachgeo

on my Rusty Rig M1078..... have got to redo the fuel pedal that broke off the floor. What do ya'll think the options may be for redoing pedal that might avoid some fuel pedal issues that spring up?
. Go to a Hanging pedal set up?
. Cable pedal?
. OEM with modifications

Any ideas out there?

coachgeo

.... the floor rotted out rivet some sheetmetal in and remount the pedal.
that is the issue and plan thus far. With MKcoen's recent post on his stiff pedal .. and knowing I've got knee issues on fuel pedal leg figured might as well ask if this is an opportunity to fix/prevent a bit of stiff pedal issue while am at it. Like would moving it a bit forward or reward potentially help? Maybe reworking back of pedal to change angle in which the arms attach so it directs forces along the pedal's chain of arms better etc.

Last edited:

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I find the throttle cable to be the leading cause of stiffness. Sometimes it routed with a tight bend in the engine bay and moving it so its sitting with a more subtle curve helps. At the rubber boot by the fuel pump, temporarily put a hose clamp on the bracket side of the boot. Spray silicone lube into the boot take a air compressor with small nozzle tip stick in the pump side of the boot hold with your hand and use only a little air at a time or you will blow the boot out. You can blow lube all the way thru the throttle cable. This helps alot with stiff throttle cables.

coachgeo

I find the throttle cable to be the leading cause of stiffness. Sometimes it routed with a tight bend in the engine bay and moving it so its sitting with a more subtle curve helps. At the rubber boot by the fuel pump, temporarily put a hose clamp on the bracket side of the boot. Spray silicone lube into the boot take a air compressor with small nozzle tip stick in the pump side of the boot hold with your hand and use only a little air at a time or you will blow the boot out. You can blow lube all the way thru the throttle cable. This helps alot with stiff throttle cables.
Sounds smart. Many a suggestions out there to lube cables can be found in Motorcycle discussion areas. Same with boats. Might can find some youtube vidoes on this topic if one searches with "lube throttle cable" "Lubing throttle cable" etc.

Oxyacetylene

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My truck had some floorboard damage at one time. The military guys riveted in a piece of aluminum plate and a bent piece to make the standoff. It isn't perfect but it works. If you do this, just don't make the standoff too tall or you will have to push the pedal down even further to get full throttle.