• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rhino Tire Carrier Restoration Questions

So ive got a used rhino tire carrier im looking to powder coat. Anything in specific I should look out for during disassembly? Also has anyone here had their tire carrier powder coated?

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't powder coat the threads.

I in general don't recommend powder coat. Baked on paint is easier to touch up, and a tire carrier gets bumped and chipped all the time.

IMHO

I hadnt planned to powdercoat the threads. Im still torn on if I want paint or powder coat. I dont plan to do the work just the disassembly.

M1165A1

I had thought myself about buying this one on ebay and doing a refurb as you are. Luckily the seller refused several reasonable offers for the unit and I don't have that burden. Had I bought it I was going to paint it via my friend who works at a body shop and can bake on paint properly.

s-l500.jpg

DREDnot

I work in powder coating...Paint it.

For a somewhat satin finish, Use some VHT engine paint. If you bake the parts in an oven per the directions, it gives the paint some powder coat like qualities like impact and chemical resistance.

For a lusterless CARC black, The Rustoleum Camouflage 2X Ultra flat is hard to beat

20210515_184951[1].jpg

I work in powder coating...Paint it.

For a somewhat satin finish, Use some VHT engine paint. If you bake the parts in an oven per the directions, it gives the paint some powder coat like qualities like impact and chemical resistance.

For a lusterless CARC black, The Rustoleum Camouflage 2X Ultra flat is hard to beat

View attachment 834506
Would you recommend having it sand blasted prior to painting it?

DREDnot

Depends on how bad the original paint is or if its really rusty.
If its thick flaking CARC and rust then yes. Avoid the threads obviously.
If its mostly good paint with surface rust on sharp corners then just D/A sand and clean first

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just sand it, hit it with rust converter, paint it with POR, and then paint it flat black.

Easy, cheap, and effective.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks