• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Richmond VA to ME or Close for M101A1 Trailer

m38inmaine

I have a pending purchase of Builder77's(Ethan) gen trailer and would like to try and get it towed East, prefer Maine but I have three places near Boston, MA that could hold and take it from there. I missed bringing this home by one day when I was there getting my CUCV pickup. At that time it had a diesel engine living on it and sold the next day! just my luck. If you can help out please let me know.

Mark

Engine5

Mark,
This is Mike (engine5) in Millbury MA.
If you need a place to sit it for a while let me know I have some room. If you need a hand getting it north I can move it if its not too heavy. I pull a 5000 lb boat with no problems with my Montero. Let me know if you need a hand.
Mike

m38inmaine

Thanks for the offer! Right now it looks like VA to MA is what I am looking for. Again, thanks for the reply.

Mark

m38inmaine

Yes, it is in Ethan's yard. His dad will be there the first two weeks in October but he said arrangements can be made for it to be picked up there anytime. It should be roadworthy, good tires etc, still hooked up to the original tow vehicle. I appreciate the help, closer is closer!

Thanks

Mark

builder77sDad

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mark's generator trailer

I didn't want to make any promises until I had test towed the trailer with Ethan's Volvo wagon. The big test was towing it loaded with a stripped M35 mulitfuel engine and the bottom of its steel shipping box to a metal scrapyard about ten miles away. The steel weighed in a little over 2200 pounds, and I got $33 for it.

I also got some unexpected excitement. I backed up to a crane which lifted off the engine with a four fingered claw (he was careful so the trailer remains undamaged). They had me in a hard hat standing near the car. I heard a thud, and turned to see that a semi just fell over, about 20 feet from me. The driver soon emerged out the driver's side window and men ran over to help. No one was hurt. The problem was that the semi was on sloping soil, and so when the driver lifted the bed about halfway it was top-heavy. I talked to a gate attendant who said that there have been at least eight accidents like this in the last couple of years, and that the company really should pour a concrete offloading area. I have no idea how they righted the truck and its semi, but I'll bet this caused more dents.

The generator trailer is great! I was fearing difficulty towing, but it was quite stable. The scrap metal was top-heavy as the engine was on the boxes' mounting bolts, but the recessed shape of the trailer bed kept swaying to a minimum. The surge brakes worked well, and I tested them with some hard braking to learn if the tail of the car would be pushed sideways. I did limit my speed to 35 mph due to this excessive load. After unloading I pulled the empty trailer at highway speed, again with no problem. It is stable, bounces little and, other than some jolts due to play in the pintle hitch, handles like a lighter trailer.

The upshot of this is that I feel more confident about pulling the generator trailer with a Volvo wagon. I will be selling Ethan's in a couple of weeks to a father/son team who have a 1979 Volvo wagon. Ethan's 1980 and the other will be merged so that the son will have a dependable ride, even if it does look like an old shoebox on wheels. In a couple of weeks I will return to Richmond to work on Ethan's house. The old Volvo and the trailer will be making one last trip to the metal recycler, with a more reasonable load. Then I will put some of the things I inherited from Ethan on the generator trailer and take this load up to Massachusetts with my 1993 Volvo wagon mid November. Mark and I will still have to work out the Massachusetts to Maine portion of the trip, but the trailer will be some 12-14 hours closer to Maine.

Robert Alexander

m38inmaine

Thanks Robert, that is great news. I have several contacts there and I suspect linking up with you will be no problem. Those scrapyards can be fun and dangerous at the same time. 6 monthes ago that metal would have been worth alot more, the price dropped quite a bit recently.

SSG Mark Burgess(RET)

Boatcarpenter

Mark, let me know when the trailer gets to Mass., my son or I might possibly be making a run in a pickup to the Bucksport/Ellsworth area sometime around then.
BC

m38inmaine

Thanks BC, that would be great. I am only 1 hour from there. If you need any help or pre trip inspection let me know as I can take care of it before you arrive.

Mark

Towerguy1

Let me know If I can help. We aren't far apart but sometimes I'm in Mass. or N.H. on a trip. Might save you some fuel if it happens to work out.

builder77sDad

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mark, your trailer made it to Massachusetts!

Hi Mark,

I towed Ethan's (soon to be your) generator trailer from Richmond to our home in Eastham, Massachusetts (Cape Cod). It handled quite well at highway speeds, carrying a steel bunk bed and a few other items. It was stable, with no swaying or braking problems. I put on temporary 12 volt tail lights rather than mess with the 24 volt system.

Now for the next phase. Thursday morning (Thanksgiving day) I plan to take the bunk beds to my son who lives in Lexington, Mass. Perhaps you would like to meet me there, or I could leave the trailer with a fellow SS. I received a note from Scott Harmon saying he might be able to help this way. Please let me know what you wish to do.

Robert

scooter01922

Yup, i can hang onto it for as long as required, It can park right next to the deuce, just a few min off of 95 and about 5 min from the NH border. I will be making a deuce run up Rt 16 to the osippee area hopefully in the coming weeks if that helps. No issue dragging it along.

m38inmaine

Robert, it would be fine to leave it with Scott(scooter?), it would be closer there. I am on a long stretch at work now and would be unable to travel now. Sounds like the trailer behaved itself behind the shoe box, great!.

Mark

Last edited:

builder77sDad

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Read your message Mark. I will tow the trailer to Scott's place Thursday, and it can stay there until you can pick it up, or Scott makes his run North.

Scott, I will need a street address and then will rely on the lady in the little black box to keep me from getting lost. Please send a PM with this info and Mary and I will meet you Thursday afternoon.

Robert

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks