• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Right and wrong way to start a deuce

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
right way = what's in the operator's manual

wrong way = every other way*

*Other than say emergency situations, i.e a push start to get a dead vehicle out of the roadway, etc.

mcmullag

a one anna two anna.........

the way I does it.... check that trans is in neutral, turn electrical switch thingy on left side of dash to ' on ', press the starter button, give it a little fuel with foot throttle while cranking. Once it starts, I pull out throttle thing on dash a little so that idles at about 900 rpm and let it run like that for 5 mins or more before I move out. :beer:

cleb

Don't do it like I've seen GL guys do it....throttle to the floor, when it fires, stay at 2000+ rpm for 5 mins to get the air pressure up....

Billy Bobbed

Every day I start my truck,I turn the switch on and wait for about 5 sec. Then I hit the button,I do this to get the fuel pressure up.My truck hits 90% of the time right off.Then I let it idle for 5 min.Then when I shut down I wait about 1 min. before I turn the switch off.

Last edited:

cleb

What?

Like others have said please read the manual.
He mentioned the wrong way in his thread title. My example would be one of the many wrong ways. Start it, let it idle for 5 minutes, and be easy on her till shes warmed up. If your going to let it idle for more than 5 minutes, bump the hand throttle to >1000 RPM after the initial 5 minutes. Before shutting it down, let it idle for 5 minutes.

rlwm211

On a cold start, I do the standard Hydrostatic test and then start the engine. I pull the throttle out about 8 clicks, check for neitral and then push the starter button and then when the engine starts it levels out at 600-700 rom. Once I have had oil pressure for 3-5 seconds, I raise the idle to 1100. Then I get out and do the rest of my walk around, checking lights and making sure everything is secure before moving out.

If you shut down the truck without cooling the exhaust and top of the engine and you are asking for trouble. After any long run, I idle my truck or just above idle for about 5 minutes to equalize the temperatures in the engine and cooling system before shutting down. This is far more of a concern in the summer than the winter.

The PS magazine article referenced on "MULTIFUEL OPERATOR" is a great source of how to take care of your deuce and use proper procedures to operate it.

RL

KsM715

I know what hydrostatic lock is and its mentioned in the PS article but is there something inherent to the multifuel engine that it is a big concern? Design of the heads or injection system that can cause it to happen more in this motor than in any other gas or diesel motor? Ive never, in all the different vehicles I have owned had to worry about coolent or fuel sitting on top of the cylinder. Now high speed water crossing, thats a different story, Ive seen guys lock up motors that way but never seen one fill up with liquid from just sitting.

rlwm211

The Multifuel engine can have head gasket issues and if you try to start an engine with coolant in a cylinder, especially an engine with a 22 to 1 compression ratio you are asking for it. A simple precaution is to follow the procedure that the original purchaser of the trucks did.

Since I would rather change a head gasket that change an engine, and the commensurate costs that go along with that, I take the cautious course and follow Standard Operating Procedure.

You can jump in your deuce and fire it up and take your chances. That is your call, but to say that others can simply ignore the PS article and Multifuel operator's manual because you have not ever had an issue with engine damage from a Hydrostatic lock is not very good advice.

I do not mean to offend and all I am saying is that there were a lot of minds who were far more experienced in the MULTI FUEL ENGINE who decided to recommend the test on cold startup and I am pretty sure they know more than I do about the service history of the engine.

RL

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes I should have said water/fuel sorry but to add to that we can to this to the 5 tonners or anything that has a manual fuel shut off.:deadhorse:

emr

also the wrong way is any way that the driver is not in the drivers seat, anywhere else is dangerous and just wrong... but hey some think its cool to do, but simply put it is dangerous... that is a wrong way for sure...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks