• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

RIM CHANGEOUT (Paired 24 Stud) with Run-Flats

Curtisje

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Out of curiosity I took some measurements and pics of a HMMWV wheel and one of my 16.5 in dually wheels. The differences are depicted in the pics; (1) there are no "bead retainer" lips present on the HMMWV wheel, (2) the HMMWV wheel also lacks the drop center of a one piece wheel that is needed in order to mount a tire on a one piece wheel, (3) the HMMWV wheel is angled upwzrd torward the bead seat where as the one piece is not. The bead seat angles themselves are identical. I measured those a year or two ago with clay and found them to be the same.

Dually wheel/one piece.
20210627_131457.jpg

HMMWV wheel.
20210627_132102.jpg
Note that since the outer edge of this wheel is angled I measured 16.4 at the transition point to the bead seat.

Dually wheel.
20210627_132402.jpg

HMMWV wheel.
20210627_132423.jpg

Wheel-Parts.jpg

For the record I have ran HMMWV wheels and tires without runflats with no issues other than it is much easier to change a tire... and it's more difficult to seat a new tire on the wheel.

I hope some find this info useful. My measurements are surley off by a little as I don't own a tool that big, I simply measured circumference with a string and converted it to diameter. Have a great day and enjoy your Steel Soldier.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The point of asking the weight of the entire runflat assembly (6 pieces) was to compare it to the 1 -piece runflat.
Assuming 45 pounds is correct for just the three segments combined, that already is a lot more than the single piece rubber donut/runflat - which puts 31 lbs on the scale. And all 6 pieces together I suspect may be twice the weight (!) of the rubber runflat.

(If I was the responsible buyer for AM-General I'd say no, thanks to Hutchinson... looking for something that reduces the unsprung mass, not increase it...!)