• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rim ID 17"

wildbilly1760

Hi, at my fire co. I located an old tire and split ring rim. Looks to be military. The tire on it is 7.00 x 17 Hercules. very old looking. It has 5 hole bolt pattern. I will take a pic when I get the chance, and will attempt to measure the hole centers. I know the fire company has had Dodges in the past. Do any of you folks Know off hand what it may fit. I dont know anything about old 17" rims, but if it were mil surplus i want to save it from destruction. Thanks, Bill

TGP (IL)

FYI
17" Split "ring" wheels were an option on middle 60's Dodge "W" series (3/4,1 ton)
And Chev.3/4 and one tons,but were 8 lug.
I thought Dodge were 6 lug could have been 5 though.
Also there is a huge difference between 'split ring" and "split rim".
Some folks don't know that.
TGP

Tanner

The Budd rim used on the M37 is correctly called a lock-ring style rim, specifically named a lock-ring wheel of the type known as the "Good Year, Light Truck Safety" design. The Dodge Power Wagon and M37 family use the 16x6.50 H Budd rim size.

People often incorrectly call these a split-rim, which - when mentioned to tire shops - throws the shop manager & workers into having hissy fits and much gnashing of teeth...

Heavy truck tire shops or farm equipment will usually be able to assist you with demounting & mounting tires on these rims.

'Tanner'

Wolf.Dose

We call the rim "Einfache Sprengringfelge" or single retaining ring wheel (compared with the modern truck wheels with 3 retaining safety rings). The handeling is relatively easy if you know the trick. The only problem is to press of the rubber from the steel / tire seat after many years of beeing installed. If you succeeded with that, it is relatively simple to do the job. For reinstalation of the tire dish washing soap will do the same as tire mounting grease.
Wolf

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks