• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rims and Tires

kingsley

I am looking to change out the stock rims and wheels. I would like to stick to the same steel-painted rim. Can someone recommend the largest rim and wheel that will fit under a stock truck?
I am in the process of repainting and would like to go ahead and take care of the rims.

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
If you want stock painted rims why would you want to spend the money to buy new ones? The stock rim on the M1009 is 15" which is a really easy size to get tires in. Is this a M1009 or M1008 you are talking about? I think I remember that 33" tires is the largest you can go without having to lift the truck or trim the fenders at the bottom corners. There are some really good past threads that go into this in depth that you can search for. Some have some good pictures to help you make you mind up too.

M1075

kingsley said:
I am looking to change out the stock rims and wheels. I would like to stick to the same steel-painted rim. Can someone recommend the largest rim and wheel that will fit under a stock truck?
I am in the process of repainting and would like to go ahead and take care of the rims.
Rims are different among CUCVs. What model do you have? I personally like the 16.5 beadlock rims from the HMMWV for M1008 or similar. You can run 36 or 37" tires with a little fender trim.

kingsley

RE: Re: Rims and Tires

what i would like to put on the truck is the wrangler military tire. My truck is on 84 M1009. Any ideas?

84cucv

well, i know that M1009 rims are 15" and i am pretty shore that m1008 are 16" and the wrangler military tire is 16.5. i have them to. they are desent for the price. So i guess you would need a 6 lug 16.5 rim. I dont know if they are even made. I would think for a 36" tall tire. you would need a 4" lift or fender trimming. I am sure someone else can help you with this also. hope this help a little

Armada

A 1009 steel rim is 15" X 8" wide. There are many different tire manufacturers and they all have their own recommendations on what size tire will fit on what rim width based on load ranges, section widths, etc. Stock 1009 tires are 31x10.5. For an average though, if using a BFG Mud Terrain or All Terrain tire, they recommend for a 32x11.5 tire a rim width of 8"-10". For a 33x9.5 tire, a rim width of 6.5"-8.5". For a 33x10.5 tire, a rim width of 7"-9". For a 33x12.5 tire, a rim width of 8.5"-11". And for a 35x12.5 tire, a rim width of 8"-11" (All Terrains) and 8.5"-11" (Mud Terrains).

PHIZLAN

i have an 84 1009. it has the military wrangler oz tires in a 36-12.5-16.5. I do get a bit of rubbing on a tight turn that is about it. Nothing that I know of has been done to the finders, lift or any thing else. I am not worried about the rubbing, you will be going slow to make such a turn anyway. You can get the above tires from alfaheaven.com. He has very good prices on his tires and rims... you just have to keep watching for them he updates all the time. the average price i see on there is from 250-400 a set. some times with rims some times with out. good luck

84cucv

Do you take your m1009 in the woods? i have never seen rims for 16.5 tires in 6 lug. where did you get them from? Also. those tires are on ebay as well.

Craig C

What about tires for the 1008/1028??

What are the max size tires that can be used, staying similar in width etc that I can do WITHOUT cutting the fender and lifting the truck?

Any suggestions, ideas that don't drastically change the vehicle? Supposedly the
285x75R-16 are 11.2 inches wide and 32.8 inches tall so they should work with out cutting or lifting....but a set is $890....ouch.

84cucv

I have seen the hummer tires on stock m1008, but i not sure how it would work when you turn. Would could do it with a small 3in lift i would think. Sorry think thats the only way my friend has a 4" lift and is on those 36in tires. Its a nice way to go, looks good to.

hypgnostic

I have hummer tires on my m1028, and I'm trimming the fenders next week or so, as they rub in sharp turns. They look real good though, and raise the height of the truck some. I have no plans for a lift kit since these tires have been put on, my girlfriend has already requested I mount a step under the door...

AJMBLAZER

This is a week old but I haven't been able to reg for a few days so I thought I'd still try and share some info.

There are standard GM 6-lug pattern (6x5.5") 16.5" wheels available. It was never a factory option but plenty of aftermarket wheels are available. I know Summit Racing has some.

You can fit the HMMWV tires under these trucks but I wouldn't do it under a Blazer without the previously mentioned upgrade to larger axles and deeper gears. The 3.08 gears alone would scare me off.

The military has been putting HMMWV tires under the 1-tons for quite a while. Since at least someone figured out that 36's + 4.56 gears = 70mph capability. I know a guy that was a vehicle mechanic in the Army in the early 90's and he remembers doing it during Desert Storm.
Mine will go along just fine in the slow lane of the highway with the big tires. I remember when I was in the Marines and driving them on 31" tires they sounded ready to explode at anywhere near 55.

As far as fitment they rub a bit on the fender edges up front. In the rear you'd have to flex the wee outta the rear suspension to make them rub, Chevy's are famous for that. Trimming back the front fenders on each lower edge helps some but they will still rub. Part of the problem is that the front axle/suspension on 73-87 GM trucks is not actually centered in the front wheel wells...it's an inch or so towards the rear of the vehicle from center. Moving the axle so that it is centered goes a long way to eliminating rubbing. This is why some guys have 6" of lift and 35's and still get rubbing. Some people move the axle forwards by redrilling the center pin holes in the front suspension while others use www.OffRoadDesign.com's 1" zero rate add-a-leaves to get 1" of lift and space the axle forward either 1" or 1.5". I plan on using the Zero rate and some 2-3" lift springs in the long term but for now I'm going to put some 4" lift springs on that a friend of mine has. It drives along fine right now but if I go wheeling I'm afraid I might damage the tires or fenders a good bit by flexing the fronts into the fenders.

Oh, and to best do this you must get some stock GM 16.5" wheels of the era. They're a bit narrow but the tires fit fine and the bias plies (having a round cross section instead of flat like radials) couldn't care anyways. I needed one of these wheels for my spare and was GIVEN one by a guy that had it sitting in his garage.

LASTLY...consider a frame brace for the steering box if you're going to run big tires. ORD above makes a nice one. Hell, I put it on every one of these older GM's even if it has stock tires.

AJMBLAZER

I think she was there when I was there Oct 13th.

My next CUCV will be a '09. My first vehicle was a POS rusty '86 K5 civie and I've wanted another since.

RSOVRanger

if you're actually going to take it anywhere serious offroad I would highly recommend some OTHER size than 16.5 due to there being no actual bead surface on the inside of the rim. If you air down, then take the tire off the bead on an off-camber situation you will probably NOT be able to trail reseat the bead... we ran into this issue on a trail run... 2 cans of ether and one full CO2 bottle later, we still had an uninflatable, off the rim, 38.5 super swamper.

AJMBLAZER

If he manages to slip a 12.5" wide tire off of a 6-7" wide rim he's got it aired down TOO far for the weight of a fullsize truck.

Now if he uses a 8-10" wide rim I'd agree with RSOV.

Either that or buy beadlocks.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks