• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

ring and pinion help

joey

This is a continuation from my "how bad did I get burned thread."

I have sense pulled the differential. The bearings were bad and got chewed up that was the source of my leak. Luckily It doesn't look too bad one small chip out of the pinion gear. I think I can reuse them but not too sure I want to if new ones are cheap enough.

Does anyone know where I could get these and how much they should be? Or if I can find a complete axle somewhere Is there a certain year i should look for?
Mine is 1970 if that helps.

spicergear

If you're worried about it alot of people dump the rear axles for pretty cheap. All the chunks (center sections with gears) are the same ratio and will interchange. I put a Detroit Locker in a rear from a '53 REO then in several other that were much later than that and didn't notice any differences.

DanMartin

Well....maybe this won't work, but I'm going to be picking up my deuce from Idaho Motor Pool in the next 4-5 weeks...I'm sure I could have one of their spare axle assemblies thrown in to the back of the truck on the way out the door. I live in Hillsboro, Or (just west of PDX)...if you could come get it out of the back of the truck (somehow...I don't have a forklift) we might be able to work out a deal.

http://www.idahomotorpool.com

He claims to have a whole rear assy (2 axles) for $900. I'm sure he has parts too.

Just a thought...

Dan

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Personally, I'd not pay much more than 2 or 3 hundred for an axle, they are that plentiful. See if you can find Dieselsmoke. He's in Grass Valley CA and knows of west coast surplus that might have something cheaper. Also wished I could find Jim Hossack in WA, he might could help but I have no contact for him.

FreightTrain

Banned
yea,You can buy whole axles(rears) for around 300 bucks all day long.Normally the Monstertruck wanna be drivers will buy a deuce,pull the front axle and scrap the rest.They usually want 2 front axles for 4 wheel steer.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I don't think I'd run a chipped ring or pinion gear........ Just my 2cents

joey

Dan thanks for the offer but I don't have the funds for those axles I Already thought about it when I read your thread on your new truck But I will email them and see if they can split the axles or if they have just the parts I need.

Kenny Thanks Ill try to get ahold of this dieslesmoke and see what he says.

Freighttrain Ive been all over Oregon and seen two deuces They don't seem to be as prevalent over here for some reason.
I think I'm going to have to run the pinion gear chipped, I gave away an old cj-7 to my brother in law for towing and mechanic work. Sold my J-10 to pay part of the loan for the deuce because someone backed out on the motorcycle I thought was sold. My wife goes back to work on Tuesday so she will be using the car. And I have to get to work somehow.
I did have someone else look at the gears they said It shouldn't be too big of a problem, but I should run it down to the machinist to get it dyed for cracks???, just to be safe. Which of course I wont do! When it goes critical ill buy more new bearings and whatever else it destroys. Hopefully by then I will be able to have some more money so I can find and buy the correct parts I need.

There is a rumor at work that there may be a tow to stockton ca. If I sail as assistant engineer I should have enough to buy two expensive axles from Idaho If its soon enough and i Have money ill pm you Dan.

jasonjc

You have two other options. 1 swap the middle for the rear and just leve out the shaft between the two. or swap the front to the middle. I had a '71 GMC 1/2ton 4X4 that lost 2-4 pices of teeth on the ring grear. The onlt way I knew was it started to leak from a hole in the cover. When I took it off to fix the cover the pices of the teeth fell out. Fixed the cover changed the oil and drove10,000's miles with no problems. 2cents

joey

Ive considered that and it would probably be the smartest thing to do at this point in time, But if you can go 10,000 with broken teeth I'm sure i can go at least a few hundred with the minor damage I have. Its only 10 miles to work and on the warm days Ill just ride the motorcycle. Ill have one more person look at the gears and if they say no I will just swap out the rear. That should buy me all the time I need to find more money and parts. I should have all the seals and the rest of the problems fixed and replaced this weekend other then the ring and pinion I can't wait to test it all out and get stuck in the middle of no where again!

Thanks all. Keep me in mind if anyone runs across anything cheap and close to Oregon.

DanMartin

Joey,

Would you like me to see if IMP has a spare chunk lying around? If so, I could drag it back to PDX for you (instead of a whole axle assy.).

Anyways, the offer is still open...I'm probably looking at 4 weeks to pick up my deuce, so you have time to decide. :)

Dan

joey

Would you like me to see if IMP has a spare chunk lying around? If so, I could drag it back to PDX for you (instead of a whole axle assy.).

Anyways, the offer is still open...I'm probably looking at 4 weeks to pick up my deuce, so you have time to decide.
Yes, as long as its under $100 even if I find somthing else by then Ill still pick it up from you

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks