• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rip in top

Olywadan

I have a pretty good gash in the rear top and I was wondering what would be the best way of patching it. Any recommendations? A little more than just duct tape.

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The old tentage repair kits had tent adhesive. I can't seem to find it anymore but I would buy it if I could find it. Works great and holdl like gorrilla snot.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pliobond and some patch material

Got some material from a local upholstery shop, almost the exact color I needed. Cut out a patch big enough to cover rip + a couple of inches to the sides. Cut out another identical patch. On the outside of the cover, trace out the outline of the patch, the use Pliobond on both the patch and cover. Follow directions on the can. Place other patch on the inner side of the cover.

Attachments

Srjeeper

Seal~All......

Was told about this stuff by an old gunny that makes all kinds of canvas covers etc. with it. Just follow the directions and it'll hold up too about anything. The other plus is it's very inexpensive and almost all hardware stores have it.

Seal-All Adhesive Product Information

[thumbzup]

x-ray

I've used suitable patch material and Gorilla Glue (similar method as others here have said), have a cargo cover on a M35A2 and repaired tie down loops and holes, works great, clamp it down for best results. You can paint patch area with Krylon camo with fusion, works well to blend

emr

Gorilla glue is sooo messy, I personally would not use that stuff again, thats me, unless one is ready for the expansion and keep cleaning up around it, I am guessing it would stain around the area, but i guess that is what paint is for, the seam sealers are more made for this kinda stuff, srjeepers is a good choice, i would look in a good hardware store like the depot or lows and read the labels and choose from there , thats what i did and had great results that have lasted years and still going on some tops i repaired.

I used Gorilla Glue to glue the soft-top on my deuce back to the plastic channel piece. It's held up fine for almost a year, so far. Pliobond is expensive, but when the directions are followed has very good adhesion. Ditto on the Krylon fusion camo paint.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks