• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rivet Nuts or Riv-Nuts

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you ever removed a bolt and had the welded nut or the rivet nut come loose? I had one the other day do it to me.

I was working on a windshield wiper washer and the welded nut on the fender came loose. Darn.

02.jpg03.jpg04.jpg

Opened the hole slightly and ground off the welds

Broke out the D-100-MIL-1 Blind Fastner Installation Kit that I picked up at GL a couple of months ago.

01.jpg

I had some 5/16" - 18 rivet nuts that I had bought years ago and never used. Perfect fit for the hole.

05.jpg

Installed the gun and ten pumps of the handle and I have a new mounting hole.

07.jpg06.jpg09.jpg10.jpg

Took longer to get the hole ready for the nut then it did to install the nut itself.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Beautiful!

What did you pay for the installation kit?
bought four kits for $300. One worked, two need to be rebuilt(seals leaking) and one was missing the gun. Contacted the manufacture and for a mear $1700 I could get a new kit.

One of of these days I will take the two leaking guns apart to see what seals need replacing.

goldneagle

I bought
[h=1]Marson 39315 Ribbed Rivet-nut Kit[/h]from Amazon.com in 2013. It is a very nice kit that will do Nutrivets up to 1/4". When I bought it it was $87. It is now $122. I used it to replace the nutrivets on my Mep701 generator set with the sound enclosure. A bunch of the nutrivets were missing or spinning freely. It was a paint to remove some of the screws with the nutrivets spinning. Once I did remove the screws I drill them out and installed new nutrivets. Now all the screws are there and come out as designed.

TexAndy

Eh... for something like that, I'd be tempted to just epoxy the nut back on.

You can get an ounce tube of devcon steel putty on amazon for 4 bucks. And that stuff works great.

TGP (IL)

Nice Kit.
You can also buy the nuts and inserting tool from napa,carquest or any respectable parts/tool store.
For a one time use, buy the nutsert needed, install in proper size hole, screw in bolt with hex nut run all the way on and washer.
Hold the bolt turn the hex nut to collapse and set the nutsert,remove bolt,Done.
TGP

cucvrus

I have a real simple riv nut installer. It puts in 1/4" and M6 nuts. It is just a tall nut with teeth at the base and a long bolt that you turn and it pulls and collapses the riv-nut in the hole. Works well in a pinch. I also have trhe one from work that can put in 5/16, 3/8" & 1/2" riv-nuts in frames. I seldom use that one. But the 1/4" one is always handy. CUCV door mirrors and such.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The whole unit looks like this

Rivet.JPG

Does rivet nuts from 6-32 up to 3/8" and pop rivets from 3/32" to 1/4"

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I could have used one of those the other weekend! The rivet just started rotating with the bolt instead. Since it was blocked by the part I needed to remove. I opted to cut the head off the bolt. Ended up just using a nut on it and using the bolt as a "stud" so to speak. Probably going to break or just spin when I try to remove it later on. But it's not a load bearing part outside a few ounces. And it has another one as well that's holding the part as well.

Interesting though on how that works. I would have never thought it was hydraulic.

Another Ahab

bought four kits for $300. One worked, two need to be rebuilt(seals leaking) and one was missing the gun. Contacted the manufacture and for a mere $1700 I could get a new kit.

One of of these days I will take the two leaking guns apart to see what seals need replacing.
That included a week for two in the Bahamas with meals and airfare I'm guessing, right!?

KansasBobcat

I usually put some epoxy in the hole and on the outside of the rivnut taking care not to get any in the threads. Also watch the torque. You can break any rivnut loose with enough torque. I know...

Keith_J

Proper lubrication of the threads is a must. Tricky with aluminum, never use graphite. Only aluminum rated anti seize or pure MoS2 grease.

Another Ahab

I wonder if anybody knows how these get installed and where they are used,...
These are threaded pop-rivets (the other hardware is unknown to me):

- Never seen these before until now, but a very neat idea.

- You'd install them like any pop-rivet.

- Drill appropriate sized hole, put pop-rivet in gun, place pop-rivet in hole, and squeeze gun trigger until the rivet sets.

- Bingo; you got a threaded stud permanently installed.

pop rivet.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks