• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Road Report

M880 GC

I have owned mine for about 1 1/2 years now, but I finally am able to put it out on the road. This is my 2nd 4X4, the first one (don't point out my stupidity) was a really nice M38 that was on 9.00 X 16 Non Directionals, not as hard to do as you might think, what a Jeep.

Wow flat spots on the tires are the order of the day, when it gets warm, things settle down and life gets less shaky. Steering ain't too terrible, gave it a toe check, needs a drag link, but stays between the paint stripes pretty well.

Engine. I spent a lot of time cleaning up years of wiring repairs from PO's, man was that worth the time, not one wiring issue so far. The ammeter is just a placeholder in the dash, not one wire hooked to it. TIMING CHAIN, can I saw it louder, check your cam to crank chain slop, it transformed the idle and really improved the little 318". Ignition timing. PO put P/S on it and the pump sorta hides the reference scale, remove belt, push pump out of the way, count your knuckles after using timing gun and enjoy the results. Fuel. Carb cleaning and kit, new fuel lines tank to pump, filter before and after 3rd pump, doing good. Intake manifold gasket, usual plugs, minor parts. Driveline, oil changes, no repairs yet. I also have civilian Dodge parts book, 4 1/2" of paper, the real deal.

Body, well some rust and faded paint, tailgate, what's that?

We have actually taken it out for pleasure rides exploring the local "dirt roads" here in SC. Nice not to worry about loose sand, just do it.

Not one built in creature comfort, the floor vent worked just like it should and I forgot how good those side vents are.

Gas mileage, next topic. Having some burping issues at the gas pump, tank only gets about 1/2 full then shuts off nozzle.

It's an ugly crude simple, light weight, so far reliable, 4X4 that is such a far cry from my '05 Ram 5.9L Cummins.

Can't wait to get it into a, yup that will need a 4X4 situation. And hunting trips this fall, it will deliver the corn, can it pick up a nice white tail?

My you want to do what project is to pull the 727 and drop in a 435 hand shaker, you ask why, because I'm a clutch guy this will make 3 Dodge's in the drive w/handshakers. I have almost every part to convert it, including the steering column w/o the PRND21. Might need a X-member and skid plate, current one got hung up by PO, it's a bit bent.

Even drove it to work.

This is fun so far.

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check ebay for a $45 BUY IT NOW drag link with free delivery from Ca.
I have the skid plate cross members $20
Yet no skid plate to spare, sorry.
Fuel tank vent hose clogged, mud wasps love those things.
beware of ebayer from Whitehall, PA (user ID constantly changes)

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You will be amazed how well the full time 4x4 with the open diffs do in the slop. Even with stock rubber mine always amazes me. Just peg the throttle and let the 727 do it's thing.

Same issue here with the gas pumps. My trick is to hold the nozzle only halfway in and reduce the flow, that way you can get her topped off.

Elwenil

Yeah the gas pump thing is very common in the old Dodge trucks. My '74s were the same way. Keep those front wheel bearings greased. It's a simple deal to pull the front wheels and grease them with a grease gun through the hole in the brake rotor. The wheel bearing design tends to be the Achilles Heel of the '75-'79 Dodge trucks.

Also, please proofread your posts. That was very hard to read and understand.

M880 GC

BobH,

I'll keep that in mind on the X-Member, thanks BobH.

The gas fill up, I'll check the vent line, and see how it does.

Yes, I have greased the front wheel bearing as someone here on SS pointed out a while back, thanks Elwenil.

My post was a bit winded update that included a rambling summary of almost all of the work done to date, bottom line, we're having a good time. Wasn't meant to be a concise learning thread, just an update.

NMC_EXP

Ignition timing. PO put P/S on it and the pump sorta hides the reference scale, remove belt, push pump out of the way, count your knuckles after using timing gun and enjoy the results.

Leave the P/S gear in place and the timing light in the shop. It can be adjusted by "feel".

Just advance the timing slightly and take a short drive. If it does not ping under moderate to hard acceleration, advance it a bit more and repeat test drive. Once you advance it far enough for it to ping under load, retard it a hair until pinging stops. This will have it firing just before TDC.

Regards

Jim

M880 GC

Jim,

That's what is neat about this old stuff, tune by ear and results. No CEL's Codes, Flashes or ECM's just pretty simple parts.

Thanks.

Jim, nice sight picture. Need to get back out and create some brass to reload.