• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

road speed on a mk48

Augdog1964

I opened a similar thread some time ago... Mk-48 death wobble or hop.... common consensus was a flat spot on the tires due to sitting so long (more tax dollars at work)... I believe someone replaced tires and found that the hop largely disappeared. A harmonic seems to be introduced when all the flats align... It is VERY scary!

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Normally, flat spots in tires will work themselves out after driving awhile. I've noticed that my M35A3 has a lot of wheel hop from flat spots on the 14.5 X 20 Michelins if I haven't driven it in a few weeks. It seems to take about 25 miles for them to smooth out. If I drive it at least once per week, I don't notice any flat spots on the tires. However, for the A3, the death wobble is unrelated to flat spots, but flat spots seem to amplify the problem.

M920

An other way I had good luck with on the big tires that have been sitting for a while, is to lower the tire presure to about 40-50 psi. (empty truck of course!) Then go out and drive it around 5-10 miles at highway speed, so the tires get nice and warm, and inflate them back to what ever pressure you run them at normally. It worked wonders on the M1070 HET that I drove the other day. The truck had been sitting for a long time and was bouncing all over the road at first. It was really easy to do on that truck though, since it has a CTIS that actually works!!!
Just make sure that you inflate them back to their "normal" preasure before you park the truck or it will be way worse the next time you drive it!

Last edited:

RDUKW

Try bumping the pressure to 100 psi all the way around. I am running 4new tires on the power unit and 100 psi on all tires and she runs nice and smooth. With the old tires and lower pressure on the power unit she shook and hoped all over the place.

Ryan