• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Road Tip from Hell!!!

jumpmasterjim

I woke up at 6am yesterday, out the door by 630, drove down to Mechanicsburg by 1130. Looked over the 1009 not too bad, tires were a little low on air and a little dry rotted but no worse than normal. i was on the road by 1200ish. My plan was to drive up 2 exits and stop for a little fuel and air for the tires. At least enough fuel to make it into NJ since its cheaper there. I was driving at about 55mph( the posted limit is 65) when a truck passed and I caught some of the air which made my trail vehicle move a little when the next thing I know I'm in the death spin from hell. 2 tires on my trail vehicle took this opportunity to relieve themselves of their air and copious amounts of rubber. Both left side tires blew out and caused me to spin a few times and I managed to take my uncontroled spin down an embankment. I even blew one of my semi new BF Goodrichs' too. A few good samaritans pulled over and asked if I was still alive. I managed to get out, wave and let them know that the next show was in 15 minutes. After spending 15 minutes dropping the towbar and locking my cucv into 4 low I got up on the road, changed my tire and the trooper who stopped by to check on me allowed me to self recover. I managed to attach a chain to the towed vehicle and drag it up onto the highway. pulled the tires and get new ones. Went back, changed all 4 tires on the towed vehicle and turned it around. hooked up the tow bar and spent the first 5 miles making sure that everything was ok with the setup. drove another 2 hours until I was stopped by an accident which kept me stuck on 78 for about 90 minutes. I stumbled in my door at 1130 pm and told myself never again. I'm too old for this crap. Just thought I'd share my cucv towing nightmare with all. I'm glad noone else was involved. It could have been real ugly. I- 81 is a speedway that time of the day. I'll fight another day and if I ever decide to be so stupid in the future I will be sure to bring at least an extra set of rubber. I could chalk it up to good driving skills but the truth be told God takes pity on idiots and fools. I think I'm a little of both. Anyway I checked her over today and but some batteries in it and a glow modulator card and she fired right up. Some surface rust but no big stuff. A few days and it will be ready to play. :)

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Road Tip from heck!!!

WOAH :shock: Glad you're OK! Someone was watching over you, you are very lucky. I hope you had a change of BVDs too. You did not roll it ? That would have been very bad.

jumpmasterjim

RE: Road Tip from heck!!!

You are telling me. The thought of rolling did hit my mind as I was trying to steer towards the ditch but as luck would have it I only jackknifed 2 or 3 times on my way around. I even managed to check the rear view mirrors too!!!

uh60

Glad your ok. I thought about using a tow bar to pickup my 1008. I think I will use a flatbed or drive it home if I can but no tow bar.

5tonpuller

You are a lucky guy. Thank GOD. I have learned that when Murphy comes knocking on my door he has his family with him. ( I will never EVER do that again ) The lord was on my side that day and put the large open field there close. Any way, Glad to see you and your
" prize " are in good order.

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow! How much seat foam did you have to pull out of your butt??? Mine was puckered just reading about it. I'm glad you made it home safe!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow, glad it all worked out! Scary ride though. Makes my towed M1009 blowout insignificant as heck. I can see this topic will be a point of discussion and laughter in a few weeks when the terror of it dissipates.

HillBilly

Glad to hear you are allright after that, minus the pucker factor! I retrieved my M1031 from Louisiana with a civi 5k lb towbar and a 10' uhaul. 1200 miles back to WV the pucker was on high alert but my Irish luck held out!
A little Irish prayer.
from HB

May the road rise up to meet you.
May the wind always be at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face,
and rains fall soft upon your fields.
And until we meet again,
May God hold you in the palm of His hand.

kc8sfq

I have learned that when Murphy comes knocking on my door he has his family with him.

Murphy's brother -in- law (O'Brien) has a law too. IT simply states that Murphy was an optomist.

Glad you're OK

AJMBLAZER

Hahaha...makes me soooo glad my drive home was totally uneventful, if desolate.

My all time favorite is the guy on here about a year ago who went and picked up a 1028 from a few states away and then tows it home with a 90's F150 on a single axle trailer barely bigger than the 1028. Big surprise it snapped at the hitch and rolled over on him and screwed the 1028 all up.
He seemed totally mystified by all the people's comments about the size of his tow vehicle. :roll:

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If I remember right, that truck was just recently mentioned in another thread, but I can't remember if it was that he was finally getting it to his place (still wrecked), or if it was actually repaired?

AJMBLAZER

CUCVFAN said:
If I remember right, that truck was just recently mentioned in another thread, but I can't remember if it was that he was finally getting it to his place (still wrecked), or if it was actually repaired?
He bought a civilian half ton with AC and was going to swap that doghouse onto his 1028.

Would have been a whole lot easier if he had just used a correct towing setup.

jumpmasterjim

Thanks for the support. Ol' Murphy is always riding shotgun with me. My last tour in Iraq our callsign was MURPHY. I like to think that this last episode will only make me stronger. I had a similar event a few months ago on the same interstate. Coming back form Chambersburg. I even bought a contact truck to do my towing. I should have that together in another 2 weeks or so. No more blazers towing anything more than a small 2 wheel trailer. I would rather be lucky than talented.

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Jim,
When I lived in Mt. Pocono, I **hated** going down 81 to Stroudsburg. 81 was literally like a freakin racetrack

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks