• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Road Trip 2083 Miles I-70 & I-80 Need Support

markmontana

May 25 or 26th depart. Time to bring the M818 home, Maryland to Ogden, Utah. The route is primarily I-70 and I-80. (Not familiar with the best way to get to the Mississippi, open to suggestions).

Looking for contacts to back me up and emergency help along the way. Would appreciate a few phone numbers of SS guys along the route in case of the unexpected. I can't bring a lot of tools this trip, it's a fly and drive. The truck is roadworthy and has good support where it's at- thanks to powerhousedeuce and actionfigurebob!

I'm be selling the other M818 if anyone is looking- it's nice.

Route:

Directions to Ogden, UT - Google Maps

I bought these early this year at Anneville, PA and recovered them in March.

Attachments

DJones

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I live just east of Indianapolis off of I-70. I'm new to the MV group as far as parts and special tools but I have generator, air comppressor and air impact with average amount of tools. I work days until four oclock. If I don't have what you need I could help with transportation to find it here in Indy. You can PM me for my cell #.
David

Green_gator

Take photos! If you want to take a brake during the drive I recommend the Heartland Military Vehicle Museum in Lexington, Nebraska. They have quite a few vehicles inside and outside. You can not miss it as they have a Huey up on a stand right by the interstate. I drove I-80 on a recovery from Des Moines, Iowa to Grand Junction, Colorado. It is a nice flat stretch of road and makes for easy driving and some pretty scenery.

jollyroger

Hey Mark. We PMed back and fouth about driving trucks back. I finally had a days notice when I could break out to get my 818 so I boogied.

I-70 has some up and down grades from Harrisburg PA to Eastern Ohio. There are some 5% grades in WV after crossing the river. There are several tunnels through the "mountains" in PA on the turnpike. The lanes are deceptively narrow compared to the tunnels so watch out for that.

The PA turnpike takes CASH ONLY. No credit or debit cards. The "NO CASH" lanes are for expresstoll users. They have a transponder that registers they went through. DO NOT go through those lanes. You will have no way to pay and will recieve a violation in the mail. I am waiting for my violation. It seemed those were the middle lanes in the toll booth areas so stay to the right hand side unless otherwise posted. They assign a class of payment according to weight and distance travled. We ended up paying about $34 (loaded) from Harrisburg to the Western end of the turnpike. It was unclear if they weigh just the truck or the GCVW It seemed like they weighed just the towing vehicle. The guy at the toll booth was DR UNK and had a hard time answering my questions about that. If tow rig only is the case that would make the M-818 a class 6 for payment. You could probably look all that up and find out how much cash you need to set aside for the tolls.

There are a lot of long runs on I-70 where the pavement is rough and has potholes. Then they have freshly paved for long runs and it was a huge relief. It's feast or famine with that.

Fuel is mostly running $2.99 to $3.30 per gal. Every once in a while you can find a rural area where the fuel was $2.99 or $3.01 but mostly it was $3.25. Also the advertised price is usually a cash price so beware of the .07c price hike for credit card.

I got between 5 and 6 MPG over the 400 miles I HAD to drive the truck due to a double blowout on the trailer. I Don't know what you will get towing. I would recomend you pull the front and rear drive shafts. I have heard you can get 8 mpg empty if you do that and the truck is more powerful on the hills.

If I think of more I will post up.

Last edited:

markmontana

Jolly- it was good to hear you made it home from the recovery in good shape. Appreciate your comments and we all enjoy reading about long trips. Reading your posts about both of your recent 5 ton recoveries helped me decide to drive this truck home, rather than ship it. But the main factor is cost.

Please feel free to add some more detail about your trip, You and I may qualify for the longest recovery of an M818- can there be anyone else this crazy? (Maybe there is around here:-D )

I would prefer to have a sag wagon following, but this works out best as a solo. Several good folks have offered support along the way, and I do appreciate it. Still loking for as few kind souls for the Indiana/IL section and Iowa area, just for back up.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't have a 5 ton, but I have tools you are welcome to use, maybe I can provide some support and a place to work on something if needed. Also storage space if needed. I'm right off of I-70 in S.E. Ohio near Cambridge if you go that route. PM me for contact info if you decide to go that route.

reb87

Mark,
I am north of York Nebraska(York is on I-80). I farm and have lots of tools and trucks if you need anything
PM me for contact info
Ross

markmontana

Thanks for all the support and offers to standby if I have problems. It's great to know I have friends along the way.

Everything is a go, I fly out in a couple hours tp Baltimore, I'll try to take a few interesting pics, but the less drama the better!!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks