• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Road trip Florida to Ft Jackson SC

bonshawman

Taking the M931A1 northbound from south central Florida to pickup 40' low deck via GL @ Ft Jackson SC for Monday AM 3/26, then back down to the farm. Only concern may be the brakes being locked up on the trailer -bringing tools, patience, and gladhand inflator,...and crossed fingers!
Route is I95/I26. Any resources along the way would bive great peace-of-mind - this is my first GL pickup, and my first road trip with the 931.....:jumpin:

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm near Jackson, 12 miles from the DRMO, so if you need a hand or a place to park while you work on any issues my land and I are avalible.

I know the trailer you got, the blue one right? I have been drooling over it for years. Yes, it has been in the same spot, for at least 2 years. Was supposed to be a FMS hold, then went into limbo. Hope everything still works! It is a nice trailer.

jwaller

I owned that trailer for a number of years. All you will need are caging bolts and you can pull it without brakes just fine.

bkwudzhom

I am south of Augusta in Waynesboro. Plenty of room just incase Mr. Murphy visits. Good Luck and have fun!

bonshawman

First 300 miles went fine. Several rain squalls- should have renewed my scuba certification LOL
Off the road in Jacksonville Fl for the night. Last 300 miles easy drive to Ft Jackson tomorrow.
Right up I95 this afternoon keeping up with traffic.

bonshawman

Arrived Sunday afternoon in Columbia, and noticed that the exhaust stack appeared to be falling off the M931. Upon inspection, it had been hacksawed at some point (how it stayed on from Camp Shelby MS to Ocala, FL, then to my place, then from south central FLA to Columbia SC is unknown). I contacted a resource from this posting (JWALLER), who invited me to his place (20 miles) and he welded in back on! What a gentleman!

Monday morning saw me on Ft Jackson shortly after 7am (still dark), and I met Hector from GL at 7:30. The trailer exceeded my expectations! Tim from GL arrived, the paperwork was done, and both Hector and Tim went out of their way to help. Great guys! This was my first GL purchase, and it could not have gone better.

However, I encountered an issue with the trailer brakes (had been sitting a couple of years). To the rescue came another SS member John Peck (member of MVCSC), who worked his magic and shortly before 11:30am I was underway (it was a hose connection, valve position and mud-dobber issue....). I cannot say enough about these two guys who helped a total stranger! I found my way off the base, and started home. The trailer has a 40' deck, and a 10' neck. Air Force Blue, she had a slight incline up to the 5th wheel on the M931, due to the 1400's.

The trailer weighed in at 13,900# and towed fine. I stopped just north of Brunswick GA for the night, and arrived safely home Tuesday afternoon around 4pm. The M931 rolled down the road on her 1400 20's at an estimated 60mph, at around 2100 RPM. Nice and cool with the W/S open, vents open, in the 80's and sunny - a perfect road trip!

Thanks to every SS member who stepped up as a potential resource, and again for John and John - and to anyone considering a GL purchase in SC - Tim is a good guy and very helpful.

I may attempt to post some pics - if anyone saw me on I95 I was hard to miss!

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Glad it went to a good home! I've been wanting that trailer for years, but when it finally came up I didn't have the funds, I had already bought one in TX. Would have been a much shorter recovery!

Tim is a great guy, and very easy to work with.

6.88 MPG? Man, I only get like 6mpg in the M915 towing the M270 (similar) trailer.

bonshawman

For sure, other than the road surface on the Interstate a bit "bouncy" in spots (had to choose when to sip my coffee, LOL...), the hospitality of the two SS members that helped me in the recovery and with Tim and Hector @ GL made the trip. I smiled all the way home !!

Now...errr....I had an empty M931 with a fifth wheel crying for a trailer. So I bought it one. :shock:Now I have a trailer that is empty and crying for some large OD machine to sit on it....what to do??

This is, I fear, an illness for which there is no cure - I should have kept my Ferret (it would have looked so cute in the middle of a 40' deck). My GPW would look a bit silly. Guess maybe something with, umm....TRACKS !! :shock:

pctrans

Steel Soldiers Supporter
From past experience, you might not want to run that 250 wide open at 2100 rpms for extended periods of time. Ask me how I know........

pctrans

Steel Soldiers Supporter
These motors were not designed to be run full out for extended periods. No problem during shifting. Even commercial engines have a 2100 max rpm, but are only turning about 1600 rpm at 70 mph.

The liners don't get enough oil, along with heat buildup, and this happens.......

Attachments