• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Road Trip from Ft. Riley To Denver

KaiserM109

Ft. Riley to Denver

I am going to take up the problems with the truck on some other forums. I think that cranetruck in the posting just above hit the problem on the head with the suggestion that I checkout the fuel density compensator. That would explain the extra engine oil as well as the somewhat disappointing and sometimes irregular performance.

With regard to the trip from Ft. Riley, KS to Denver, CO, here are pic's

Attachments

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Congrats on your safe trip and new truck :beer:

Thanks for taking the time to take and post your pics.

We love pics :D

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
I got some complaints from neigbors too but I have it registered and insured so too bad look the other way it is my property and not illegal. The county even came out to look and when they saw the plates were current they just liked looking at the truck. That neigbor has since passed away and that may be good since now I have added the M52 and M 127 to the driveway. I would like to see a Google Earth update of my property my vehicle collection would be visible from space.

I hope you have a blast converting it to a camper as you mentioned and get all the issues resolved. Your family will love going camping in it especially when they know they can ride in the back. The truck would tow a boat or motorcycle trailer with no issue and to me that makes for a perfect vacation.

KaiserM109

An interesting tid bit is a paper in a plastic envelope taped to the inside door of the hut. My interpretation is that this is customs declaration sheet for its return trip from Iraq.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus, you posted a picture of trucks following Desert Storm; could this one have been one of them?

Attachments

KaiserM109

I can show you the Bronco in the pictures above on Google Earth; go to 39 - 55 - 49.09 N by 104 - 57 - 47.33W. That picture was taken about 2001 or 2002.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
By the tag date it may have been one I saw over there. The Guard and Reserve units that had vehicles over there shipped them back because the Army was not going to reimburse the unit for vehicles not needed for missions. Thus they brought back M35 and M800 series trucks and once home the unit was given newer equipment and the older trucks were exess and turned in to DRMO and then relegated to sales.

My Duece came from the 28th Infantry Divison in PA and my M52 came from Fort Belvoir most likely an Engineer unit.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Glad everything went well. If you decide you want the full rating on your pintle, I see many of them for sale on ebay and surplus websites. Welcome to the 109 club!

KaiserM109

Right now it's hung up in storage waiting on $$. I got the SF97 last week, but can't even afford the filing fee to get the title, much less insurance to get the registeration.

The only noticable problems with the truck are related to its being 42 years old, such as rotten rubber around the windows. The troops at Arkansas National Guard did a good job of maintaining it. Even though I was RA, I always liked those NG guys. They were some of our best cannon cockers. Read Col. Hackworth's book Steel My Soldiers' hearts and watch for references to 1/11th Arty; those guys were largely NG.

Arlyn

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks