• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Road Trip in my M1009, and a plug for a SS advertiser

Sardot1

I went with my son to Front Sight for a 4-day rifle course. This was my first trip of any significant distance in the M1009 as I has only been driving it around town and a little on some of the mountain dirt roads around here.

The truck did great, drove it about 975 miles with no problems at all, except I broke the rear window crank off of it. It cruises nice at 65-75 mph, though a bit more noisy at the higher speed. I checked the speedo against the GPS and it was dead-on. I'm still running on the government issued tires that came with it. For mileage it got 20+ mpg if I stayed closer to 65. For the drive home I was cruising a bit faster and got about 18+ mpg.

Front Sight is in the middle of nowhere about 50 miles from Las Vegas and 25 miles from Pahrump. The places to stay in Pahrump were booked up so we stayed in Veges and put a couple hundred extra miles on the truck. This was my second time there. The instructors are great. It's well worth the time and money spent. We had a blast and will go back again in a couple months, probably for the shotgun course next time.

The classes run all day, and I couldn't stay an extra day, so I didn't make it out to Nellis AFB to see my new truck. But the EUC cleared on Thursday (9 days!) and it will be picked up this Thursday or Friday and will be PM'd and repaired to make it road worthy so I can go get it later...haven't planned out that part yet.:driver:

Second and third pics are near Red Rock Canyon, just west of Vegas.

Attachments

91W350

The boys and I really enjoy our M1009, 65 is about as fast as we run it. It has been a great vehicle, my son has claimed it, he will be 18 in July, so it will be time for him to be finding his own vehicle to drive. He has a Saturn, but it has slowly been melting into the driveway for over a year now. My M1008 will hit 70, but that is flat out screaming, 45 to 48 is where I normally drive it. Glen

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks