• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Road Trip: Michigan to Wright-Pat Apr 4-5

goldwing2000

Banned
Road Trip: Michigan to WPAFB Apr 4-5

Well... the EUC for my M105s came through in only nine days so it's time to plan the trip! Pending an appointment with GL, the plan is to leave southern-central Michigan at about 8am on Monday April 4th, grab the gear from GL that afternoon, spend the night down there and leave to come back home around 6am on Tuesday April 5th.

Does anybody else need to go down there and want to caravan?

Has anybody made the trip and have advice to offer (roads to avoid, best route to take, etc)? The current plan is to take I-75 as far as Findlay, pick up US-68 into Springfield, stop off at my cousin's place in Springfield to drop off the "party favors" and then head onto base. US-68 is a more direct route and with the lower speed of the Deuce, should be faster overall. Anybody (gimpyrobb, swbradley1, kipman) see a problem with that?

Would love to see (and be a part of) a civilian-owned MV caravan heading down the road!

Last edited:

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like a good trip plan. Gimp is picking up some stuff to drop off at my place tomorrow.

PM camp9, Andy and Lane just made the trip down from MI and stopped by my place to pick up stuff.

sw

camp9

Ya, your route sounds good to me. We made it in a one day trip, not bragging here, highly not recommended unless your wired for that type of driving. [thumbzup] I'm getting old.

Camp

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I always take I 75 straight down to Dayton but your route via 68 to Springfield sounds good if driving a deuce. A few folks on I 75 get a little annoyed driving behind my CUCV doing 55 mph.
Good luck on your trip.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I enjoy driving that stretch of I-75 from Detroit to Dayton. 75 seems like a backroad compared to the 8+ lanes of Northbound I-95 here at rushhour.

OutsideFamily

I did Detroit to WP a few months ago in one day. Not too bad of a drive. Andrew was quite busy around lunch time when I did my pickup, but also quite helpful.

goldwing2000

Banned
If my EUC don't clear in time do you thing you can get me some pics of my trailers.
I could try. This is my first time, so I don't know how they are about wandering through the yard.

Got in touch with Andrew this morning and decided to change plans a bit. He only does load-out until noon on Mondays. I don't want to leave here at 6am and take a chance on something not going to plan, so now I'm going to leave here around noon and meet up with Andrew Tuesday first thing and then head home after. Should be less stressful that way.

OutsideFamily: Did you make the drive in a MV?

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I picked up my 813 from Lima and took 75 to US23 to end up just south of Ann Arbor in December. The truck came from Wright Patterson and I picked it up from a guy that was helping me out. I planned the trip from WP along pretty much the same route you did but I didnt have to go quite that far afterall. 50 Mph all the back and it wasnt as bad as I thought it would be. Seemed like most drivers werent annoyed and just thought it was cool to see the truck. Good luck and post your results! I may end up doing that trip in the future.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Get with JW4x4. There is a place in Huber Heights called Jackass Flats. Its worth the 15 minute ride from WPAFB.
Where do you plan on laying your head down?

Last edited:

treessw

Would love to meet up with you guys but gonna be a min before EUC approval. If you wouldn't mind, think you could take a gander at my win? Give me a quick "here's what's up" before I head that way? Any help would be much appreciated! Sounds like you guys are gonna have a blast! :jumpin:

goldwing2000

Banned
Get with JW4x4. There is a place in Huber Heights called Jackass Flats. Its worth the 15 minute ride from WPAFB.
Where do you plan on laying your head down?
I have a cousin in Springfield, so we;ll be crashing there Monday night. I'll look up that jackass Flats. Sounds like a cool place, just from the name. [thumbzup]

Would love to meet up with you guys but gonna be a min before EUC approval. If you wouldn't mind, think you could take a gander at my win? Give me a quick "here's what's up" before I head that way? Any help would be much appreciated! Sounds like you guys are gonna have a blast! :jumpin:
I could try but I don't know how they are about scoping out other people's stuff. And I'm far from an expert. But I can give it a shot! PM me with what it is and the lot number.