• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Road trip to Alaska

So what do you think of Ferro's Trip?

• I'll convoy with you!

Votes: 34 15.6%
  • Stop by and have a beer when you pass through

Votes: 64 29.4%
  • Good Luck

Votes: 91 41.7%
  • Don't do it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ferro's lost his #@%^* mind

Votes: 29 13.3%

• Total voters

nhdiesel

Sounds like an awesome trip! I always love road trips...the longer the better. I think it comes from hating where I live... :roll: Took my KLR650 to Kentucky and back this year, was a lot of fun, but still had a breakdown and a tough weekend finding what I needed to get home.

For an idea of what its like to do that trip on a bike, read this guy's report:
alaska

Keep in mind he doesn't own a car, rides his bike everywhere, and will cross the country just to see what the weather is like on the other side. By far not an amateur to long rides...and he had problems.

I'm not an experienced MV owner, but my suggestion is to get a list of SS members along the way near your route, in case of trouble or needing parts you don't have with you. Go over the truck with a magnifying glass before the trip- I did this to my bike, and still blew a chain in Virginia, damaging my sprockets, and several other parts. Blew my chances for an Iron Butt run (200 miles from destination...aaakkkk!)

10k in a month is really pushing it. If you had a road-tractor that you could cruise at 75 with, and you know wouldn't have issues, no problem...you could probably do it twice. I did 1000 miles in 24 hours, 10 minutes on the KLR (after working a full day at the shop, so I had to stop for a nap half way) but throw in even a minor breakdown and your schedule goes to hell. I'd take that 30 day plan and drop it to 26, planning on 4 days of maintenance. Reduce it even further if you plan on actually stopping to visity with any MV owners along the way. Then see what the schedule looks like- 10k miles in what, 22 days?

For a sanity keeper, check online for motorcycle audio systems. I have this one:
J&M Audio Integrator IV

It works awesome. It lets you plug in several accessories- CB, GPS, cell phone, MP3/serios/whatever, radar detector (hardly needed in an NV!) and sends the signal to headphones or earplugs based on priority. Listening to the radio and get a call on the CB? Radio turns down and you hear the CB.

For listening, I would suggest a set of decent around-ear headphones, they will block out sound the best. I used a set of noise-canceling Philips earplugs for a while, and they work well, but I think in an MV, you'll want something better. They draw more current to use, but with a constant 12v supplied to the Integrator, that won't matter.

I would also like to suggest moving the exhaust to under the truck, just for this trip. It may only drop the sound a few DBs, but that could be all it takes to keep your hearing intact. I know from riding a bike long distances, just very minor wind noise going over the helmet can leave your ears ringing after a long day.

Last thought...DO IT!!!! and I wish I could go with you!!!!! I'm very into the "doing the impossible" thing.

Jim

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey Guys,
I'm going to be riding by myself (at the moment) My father in law is taking his bike at a different time, doesn't want to be stuck behind a slow azz deuce.

I am thinking about adding more time to my schedule. As you all have pointed out, Mr. Murphy loves to strike when something important is happening.

As for the exhaust, that is one thing I forgot add to my upgrades list. I have an exhaust diverter from a M49 tanker. I was going to weld it into my J pipe, and run a 'dual' exhaust setup. That way I can pull a cable and have the exhaust dump out the back.

I have a VIC set up in the truck, and a way to listen to my MP3 and a CB pretty easy.

I'm planning on 8mpg, the truck gets 10 most of the time. Pulling a m105 will be closer to 8, and the mountains will factor into it as well. I plan on bringing almost 600gal of vegi oil. Also thinking about putting another fuel tank on.

Going to take several spare flaps and tubes also.

Not sure if I will replace the seat yet... I've found once my butt goes to sleep, I'm A-ok. Drove straight from Haspin, IN to SC in one day. Did like 700 miles in 14hrs.

I have a nice digital camera and video camera. Will take my laptop with internet to upload things on here.

And I do want to set up a map with members who are willing to let me stop and say hi or park the truck in the yard overnight, maybe lend a hand with a little PM.

I really like the idea of contacting a TV channel and seeing if they might sponsor the trip for the footage.

I'm thinking it will be the trip of a lifetime.

Last edited:

citizensoldier

I would pack some extra suspension dogbones, and a laser thermometer. Sounds like fun.. Are you going up through Michigan? If so please stop in. I am sure you will have a complete set of seals, gear lube and all that stuff right? U joints? bla,bla,bla.. sorry for the mother henning..

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ferro,

I always wanted to do a cross country on a motorcycle and I did it in '79. I've also been to Alaska and it is one of the most beautiful places on Earth.

Plan to stop in the area if you come up this way. I'm sure the guys in the area would want to see you. You can park it anywhere you want to on our place. I might even be able to put your truck in the barn.

Maybe when you plan the trip and make a list of contacts you could get a range of how far each one would travel to help a brother out. Then you could take a paper map and put range circles.

If you are going to Deadhorse I'm guessing you are taking the Dalton up there and from what I saw on Ice Road Truckers that road will beat the crap out of everything. In the last episode the brake module broke off a tractor.

I hope you will still be at Haspin next year though. Consider it a test run. :)

sw

nhdiesel

I don't know about getting sponsored ahead of time for the TV thing...I think the best you could hope for is to use a decent camera and get all the footage you can, keep a diary, and submit it after the fact in hopes that they would buy it to do something with.

One thing that could bait them though, is if you had an angle...for example, if you set up a network of veggie-oil stops so you could attempt to do the entire trip with WVO, showing how "green" your truck is.

From what I've read about the Dalton, its in MUCH better shape than its ever been in. Still some rough sections, but nothing like the old days. Remember, those "reality shows" thrive on showing the worse of things. Up in snow country, rough roads are usually actually smoother in the winter than summer. The snow and ice fills holes, and plows level things off. Spring, however, can be brutal once things start to thaw. We have roads with a 55mph limit that you can barely do 30 on through the spring. I'd try to avoid spring and the dead of winter for a trip like that!

Jim

tamangel

One thing that could bait them though, is if you had an angle...for example, if you set up a network of veggie-oil stops so you could attempt to do the entire trip with WVO, showing how "green" your truck is.
seems there were a couple of shows on like that.. Some guys in a an old ford school bus traveling around and another with some Australians (?) ( http://science.discovery.com/fansites/coolfuel/coolfuel.html ) with a variety of vehicles trying to go cross country w/o using petroleum based fuel sources..

Would be a dedicated chore to do it like that but great thought..

Mike

Last edited:

pilot

I have made 6 round trips from Juneau,AK- Whitehorse,Yukon to Devils Lake, North Dakota in the last 3 years with an F600, a F8000 and a Dodge pickup all pulling trailers and the main thing is fuel cost in the north country and weather if you are nuts enough to do a winter drive like I did twice. I am heading up again with a F8000 pulling an empty trailer in a week if I get my act together prep-wise. The Alcan road is actually pretty good, some construction areas. I installed enough fuel tanks to get to Edmonton,Alberta and then to Whitehorse. I have some more trips planned next spring and have considered taking two trucks and a couple of guys that want to help with expenses. By myself I drove Devils Lake, North Dakota to Whitehorse in 3 days, but on the return a friend and I took 5 days. About 2500 miles. The Yukon is my favorite area of the trip.

mdog

Sounds like a fantastic vacation. A friend did it on a harley two summers ago and went from SC to Washington state and caught the ferry up the inside passage and came back through the canadian rockies. He highly recommends both of these sights. The ferry might be a good way to rest your butt and ears.

mdog

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Ferro,

What is your timeframe???
Since there is safety in numbers maybe a convoy would be in order.
Lead deuce, fuel truck, maint truck (with tools and towbar), trail vehicle.
I am retired and have time on my hands (when not in school).
I have an M49 tanker that will carry a lot of fuel.
If we got topped off with veggie just before we left the lower 48 by "sponsors" we could prob make it back without refueling.
Each truck could pull a trailer with supplies in it......and I have the inflatable chemical shelter to hooch up in.
I was in Public Affairs in the Army so I know how to sell a story to the media.
Maybe try to get some of the major surplus companies to sponsor us.
GL sponsored the recent Transconteniental Convoy that retraced the first Army convoy to cross the US.
Folks who wanted to accompany us could ride along for as long as they wanted to.
It would take some logistical planning but could turn out to be the adventure of a lifetime.

nhdiesel

I like WM's idea, but I think I have to throw a wrench in the works...for that fuel truck, keep in mind that hauling large quantities of fuel puts you into requirements for special permits, hazmat fees, and hauling cross country brings in federal regulations for it. Even though its fryer oil, there is a gray line there, since it will be used as a fuel (same reason the govt. wants to try to find a way to tax & regulate it).

Might be better to just have aux. tanks in each truck.

Although I'm not a trucker, and may have no idea what the hell I'm talking about 2cents

Jim

snoplay

Keep in touch with your plans MVers are always welcome up here in Alaska, AK Rhino & I have a shop in Copper Center if you need any help while your here, Rhino also owns Copper Center Lodge, fuel is about $3.90 gal right now more in Canada:!:

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I have a CDL and am well versed in the regs.
At one time I hauled HAZMAT for a living.
Waste motor oil is not considered hazardous...all you need is a stencil on the tank denoting "USED MOTOR OIL" to alert first responders as to the cargo.
Veggie oil would be considered "FOOD GRADE LIQUID" and is not considered HAZMAT.

The issue with veggie up there would be keeping it liquid enough to flow. It would have to be mixed 50/50 with diesel or there would have to be a heat exchanger on the truck to allow it to pass through the Injector Pump and atomized correctly.

Having watched a few episodes of "Ice Road Truckers" I wonder what time of year would be best to traverse the hardball roads.
I also know that certain times of the years are miserable as far as the bugs go......I hate skeeters and crawly things.
Lots of prior planning and research would need to go into this expedition.
A convoy to the top of the world would be DA BOMB.

citizensoldier

I have a CDL and am well versed in the regs.
At one time I hauled HAZMAT for a living.
Waste motor oil is not considered hazardous...all you need is a stencil on the tank denoting "USED MOTOR OIL" to alert first responders as to the cargo.
Veggie oil would be considered "FOOD GRADE LIQUID" and is not considered HAZMAT.

The issue with veggie up there would be keeping it liquid enough to flow. It would have to be mixed 50/50 with diesel or there would have to be a heat exchanger on the truck to allow it to pass through the Injector Pump and atomized correctly.

Having watched a few episodes of "Ice Road Truckers" I wonder what time of year would be best to traverse the hardball roads.
I also know that certain times of the years are miserable as far as the bugs go......I hate skeeters and crawly things.
Lots of prior planning and research would need to go into this expedition.
A convoy to the top of the world would be DA BOMB.
I think your onto something here Wrecker ! A Alcan Highway re-enactment re-visit Discovery Channel special ! My wifes Grandfather worked on putting that in during WWII He was a lumber jack and equipment operator before the war.. Damn I need to get my poop in group to partake in this! Now back to the job listings..:roll:

hippiedude

Man thats a awsome trip.....I would say give yourself 6weeks though...........I would love to do a trip like this , butt I don`t think the old GMC would.......... Good luck ....... :driver: Tim

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks