• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

road truck

tobyS

Has anyone ever made a road truck from a 5 ton? I mean going so far as to remove all axles and transfer case, lower, no front drive and a road worthy gear set or commercial truck rear end (perhaps a two speed)? I searched differential changes but cannot locate a change like I describe. Please provide any links or search terms...I'm at a loss for topics that relate, for me to search.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The easiest option would be to take the sheet metal off a military truck and put it on a road tractor. I used a M818 for 4 months running a 5000gallon tanker 500mile single day round trip once a week. Rough, but it did it. If you want an ok road tractor that is military, I highly recommend an M915. I have one and love it, put 40k commercial miles on it.

davo727

Im the king of doing things the hard way buy Gee that sounds like a heck of a lot of work when you can just buy an old used commercial day cab semi truck for peanuts right now. Check truckpaper , com theres thousands of them cheap. The 6x6 is the reason to get a 5 ton in the first place.

162tcat

What would be the point? Then you just have a leaky, loud, uncomfortable and gutless road truck without 6wd. With the amount of time and money you'd spend to castrate the truck, you could buy a tractor and a 6x6 to have the best of both worlds.

tobyS

I need a set of single tires for my 817 dump and an using the 11.00's from my 925. I am willing to buy a truck to get the tires and rims. The 925 is so darn nice (rebuild) that I do not have the heart to bob it, but I will single tire it to 14.00, then probably sell it. I need it's 11.00 G177 tires to finish the dump truck build (new tires after a 50 load haul project is complete this spring).

I like the 8.3 and Allison combination. My wife can drive it (she cannot shift). So the idea is to use a frame, engine, radiator and tranny, and probably the 923 cab (which would be doubled to four door) and a nice box behind that. I'll try to attach a photo of the box (electrical enclosure) I have. Thus for travel, it would be a four door with sleeper and lowered. It leaves just enough room for a gooseneck trailer (maybe an m105 bed). I'm not trying to make a semi...it's more about taking off cross country and having a nice sleeper, military iron look, some tow capability and reasonable fuel mileage.

Attachments

quickfarms

There are quite a few crew cab medium duty trucks out there. Over the years the military has used just about every civilian truck. A lot if the medium duty's already have an automatic in them and have hydraulic brakes in them. What you are proposing is a lot of work even if you have a shop capable of doing the fabrication work in class 8 trucks

tobyS

Yea quickfarms, I am talking about making a medium duty from a 5 ton. Finding a donor medium duty (maybe a bus from a local dealer I know) would help for front and rear ends, but I want to keep the military look.

The box above only weighs 880 and the M105 bed is rather light.

I build sawmill equipment and do a lot of heavy fabricating...so have the capacity. And it is for my own use, not to sell.

Last edited:

Jason O

I also like the 8.3, but I'm looking into swapping the Allison with a Fuller 9,10,or 13speed. The additional gear ratios, and overdrive would make the truck nicer to drive on the hwy. The clutch linkage may get interesting (maybe hydraulic). I'm also concerned about how the transfer case will hold up behind a manual gearbox in the low side/ first few gears.

Add A/C for the summer, an air ride seat, and a stereo and you have a good all around truck with minimal cost.

tobyS

Ok, side by side I see there is not room (length) for a four door, the electrical enclosure and a bed. That would take the extended bed model with a longer frame than the 923.

Why wouldn't the 8.3 with a turbo and Allison make a fine medium duty setup?

Jason...think how much weight will be shed !!!

Last edited:

tobyS

Yeh Derrick, Dave has a really nice setup. His rig inspired my thoughts of a sleeper...but lighter and geared entirely for the highway. Dave's rig looks like it can be taken off road but probably to 45-50 on the highway.

For serious travel, I need MPG, thus to shed a lot of weight and determine gearing for 70-75 MPH highway.

Do you think the 8.3 and Allison can do that, if I get a rear end gear suited for the combination (like a school bus) ? (remember no transfer case).

I measured the 923 and there is generous room for a second cab (making it a four door) and the equipment shelter above (just under 9'), leaving about 24" for a goose-neck trailer connect point.

quickfarms

The 1:1 final ratio Allison's were never geared for that speed. They were geared for about 60 on the governor. The speed of 70 to 75 is going to kill your fuel milage. You could probably set up the drivetrain to cruise at 65 with some economy but you are going to have to start out in low a lot and manually shift the trans. There are a lot of factors that go into setting up a truck and if you get one wrong you end up with a fuel guzzling dog.

You have limited horsepower. The engine needs to live in its sweet spot for economy. Usually you have to decide on either economy or speed. That is the reason that the fleet trucks are governed around 60. As speed increases drag increases exponentially.

You would be better off with a medium duty.

Here are some trucks that could be duplicated to better fit your needs with a lot less work and money.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1395002400.153919.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1395002429.186435.jpg

I can not pass up the mack but it is too big for you needs.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1395002456.648614.jpg

Your wife might like this

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1395002575.424552.jpg

If you really want to persue this idea you would need one of the Allison 6 or 7 speed transmissions, but they are electronic and really expensive. The best option would be to teach here how to drive a stick, and float gears, an use a 13 or 18 speed overdrive,

mahdey

you could get a custom set of gear cut for the differentials. Something like 4.10's as opposed to the 6.72 (I believe that is the ratio) that is in our axles.

Hawssie

I am not completely sure what you are trying to get to but what is the purpose of changing out the axles again? Is it because of the low ratio? I would assume if you want the military look you would want the big tires, and if so a typical gear set from an over the road is going to be way too numerically low for those tires. If you want smaller tires I can see the point but I always kinda get disappointed when I see the M939s (non A2s) with the dual wheels as they look too low/small. for your low load capacity needs you can go any way you want but why not just remove the transfer case, remove the front d shaft, and maybe ev en remove the last driveshaft going to the read axle. that would give you less hp drag kinda like over the road locking and unlocking the second axle, but you would be unlocking the last axle instead of the middle. Actually it would be more like a dual axle over the road with only one drive axle and one non powered axle. There not very common but I ha

Hawssie

( i cut myself off sorry) I was saying trucks with dual axles with one drive and one just for load aren't very common but I have seen them before. Then if you could get a newer Allison with an overdrive...

tobyS

Sorry Hawssie...my computer keeps deleting my work before I get it posted (twice now)...so I will come back to this.

In short, removing axles is about reducing weight (lots of it) while getting road gears and maybe lowered.

I almost got one on GL this last round (for the tires/wheels).

Where else can one get a low mile 8.3 and Allison? A school bus is about twice the cost and never such low miles.
If I spend $4k, and have $2k value in tires and wheels, that is as low cost as one can get, I think. If I had won it however,it would be a bob project because I'm not convinced the road truck project is a "go", until all issues are worked out (which may never be).

Yeh Derrick, Dave has a really nice setup. His rig inspired my thoughts of a sleeper...but lighter and geared entirely for the highway. Dave's rig looks like it can be taken off road but probably to 45-50 on the highway.

For serious travel, I need MPG, thus to shed a lot of weight and determine gearing for 70-75 MPH highway.

Do you think the 8.3 and Allison can do that, if I get a rear end gear suited for the combination (like a school bus) ? (remember no transfer case).

I measured the 923 and there is generous room for a second cab (making it a four door) and the equipment shelter above (just under 9'), leaving about 24" for a goose-neck trailer connect point.
I have done many mods to my truck. the drive train mods are BC 4 Cummins- rto9513- t-case delete, Rockwell 38,000 rears under air.

and at 50 mph I still have 4 more gears!

tobyS

I'm not sure I understand DaveP. Are you using a Cummins 4? I can't quite tell in the photos. It appears to be a sizable turbo. Sorry, I'm not familiar with the condensed names. What tranny and axle ratio do you have? Do you have the front axle disengaged at the hub? Would you please post pictures of the air ride rear end...sounds interesting. I'm thinking of using four dog bones for a four link with air.

Having your hood up reminded me that I would not be limited to using a 939 series cab and dog house, but could use an 809 series. I'd like to see more pictures of your truck DaveP, if you have any available. Have you seen one that is made a low rider? That almost sounds sinister or wrong.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks