• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Robin/baldor 30K36R diesel 3k generator - won't start

mtn man

This is my 3rd one golf these and the 1st I had that didn't start. Got from GSA recently and appears complete. The electric start works great and feels like it has good compression when you pull the rope. It spins over fine but will not fire at all. It is getting fuel to the injector and has vapor coming out of exhaust. Air filter clean and oil is fresh. All wiring appears intact and original. Only 200 hours on unit. Low oil light is on when switch turned on and goes off while cranking. Just can't get it to fire... I suspected bad shutdown syliniod as when I pulled it inspecting things it is very loose. I wish I had one of the others to compare it to but they are with other loving families now.

I have reviewed the manuals but still stuck. Any help greatly appreciated as always!!

rustystud

On mine I have to set the shut-off lever hard over to keep it on. It doesn't like to stay there until it's running. Are you sure the fuel valve on the tank is totally open ? I had to replace mine as it was all gunked up.

mtn man

Fuel valve is open and fuel 'pulse' is reaching the injector in the head. I tried a shot of ether to wake things up but no luck. I suspected the shut off lever and even pulled so that I could manipulate the lever to try and get it to run.

Ray70

It sounds like you are getting fuel into the engine and seeing that ether didn't make any difference maybe the problem is not fuel delivery?
It looks like that engine has an automatic decompression feature that holds the exhaust valve open until the engine is spinning, any chance the mechanism is stuck and you're not building sufficient compression?

mtn man

It sounds like you are getting fuel into the engine and seeing that ether didn't make any difference maybe the problem is not fuel delivery?
It looks like that engine has an automatic decompression feature that holds the exhaust valve open until the engine is spinning, any chance the mechanism is stuck and you're not building sufficient compression?
Ill have to study up on this decomp feature. Not familiar with that but makes sense that the genny would have one. Thanks for the pointer.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks