• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rock Mountain Wildfire - North Georgia

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The Rock Mountain fire in North Georgia and Western North Carolina has now burned about 14757 acres and is growing. The fire is only about 30% contained at present. The fire is about 6 or 7 miles from out house and about 3.7 miles from my sister-in-law's house. I've offered up both of my Deuce's and my M149A2 water buffalo trailer to the firefighters of which there are now about 467 firefighters fighting this one fire and there are several other fires in North Georgia as well. Most of the firefighters are from Oregon and Washington states.

Attachments

WV New Guy

30% contained is better than what I heard on Wednesday when I got the call to go, unfortunately 3 of us put in as part of the National Capital Region IMT to assist the USFS at the command post but we're all denied due to budget cuts. I know there's plenty of UH-60s and CH-47s working and at least up here the wind has slowed down so I hope conditions get better for you.

wb9btz

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I, for one, will be praying that the forecast for rain in your area comes to pass and helps extinguish much, if not all, of the wildfire.

dmetalmiki

That must be a horrific situation for you, and we can only wish for the rains, or a change of wind direction for you soon. , I can not even imagine if we were in that situation, with our two fire trucks (ready), and 1200 gallons of water. At the max spray time of something like two minutes only.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The Rock Mountain fire near us is almost certainly arson. What I think ought to be done to an arsonist is politically incorrect.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Politically correct may become socially incorrect soon.

We are looking at a 30% chance of showers tomorrow and between 30 and 50% on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday.

There is a wonderful Christian retreat in Haysville that is housing over 120 firefighters. The volunteer and donation contingent has been exemplary in supporting these brave folks.

I'm only about 10 minutes down the road. Gary, if you need anything at all that I might be able to help with, just let me know. Meanwhile, I'm requesting all my Christian brothers and sisters to pray heartily for relief on this fire. It's just a heartbreaking sight up there!

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
We have no measurable rain in over 55 days in NE Alabama. My pond is dry. most of my fish have either been eaten by the egrets or are fins up.

We have been lucky that no fires have burned in the immediate area but there have been some in the county.

If I catch someone starting a fire the police will not get a call.

rustystud

The Rock Mountain fire in North Georgia and Western North Carolina has now burned about 14757 acres and is growing. The fire is only about 30% contained at present. The fire is about 6 or 7 miles from out house and about 3.7 miles from my sister-in-law's house. I've offered up both of my Deuce's and my M149A2 water buffalo trailer to the firefighters of which there are now about 467 firefighters fighting this one fire and there are several other fires in North Georgia as well. Most of the firefighters are from Oregon and Washington states.
Well at least you have some of the very best forest firefighters helping you ! They sure got a workout this last summer here so they know what their doing. I heard on the news today that it is confirmed as a arson fire. In fact there are several fires out your way that are all started by arsonists. It seems like this country is self imploding ! Could also be hate related since Christians are getting such a bad rap from the media what with the election and all. You know us "Christians clinging to our GOD and guns" and all.

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My family in NW Alabama says they have never seen it this dry . My brother is the local VFD chief and they have been busy with fires and keeping them in check . They have been lucky as no structures have been lost . The state has banned outside fires of any kind , but it doesn't seem to stop people from burning their trash , go figure . My brother said when they get a fire going in the forest/ brush , they call in the Forest Service Dozer's and make a fire break , let it burn itself out, make sure no structures are involved ,and put out the hot spots and then back to the barn . This is on top of all the NORMAL ?? calls , medical/accidents , etc . everybody stay safe , be well , let's pray for some rain , Bob k

rustystud

I'll take any and all rain I can get!
It's been raining continuously here for 3 days now. My ground is so saturated, I'm sinking whenever I walk on the grass. There is a small river going through the center of my property now also. Maybe GOD will have mercy on all of us and send some of this your way !

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You are making us very jealous! We may be getting some rain the next few days. I hope so. We just passed the 132 year record for continuous days of drought here. I believe the previous record was set in 1884.

BnaditCorps

I'm reading on FB and yahoo news that some of these fires are being investigated as arson. WTF is going on in this world??
Out West and in bigger cities it is fairly common, sadly. There was a fire, the Clayton Fire, that ripped through Lower Lake this summer destroying 300 buildings, cause, arson. And now Prop 47 makes the situation worse.

My family in NW Alabama says they have never seen it this dry . My brother is the local VFD chief and they have been busy with fires and keeping them in check . They have been lucky as no structures have been lost . The state has banned outside fires of any kind , but it doesn't seem to stop people from burning their trash , go figure . My brother said when they get a fire going in the forest/ brush , they call in the Forest Service Dozer's and make a fire break , let it burn itself out, make sure no structures are involved ,and put out the hot spots and then back to the barn . This is on top of all the NORMAL ?? calls , medical/accidents , etc . everybody stay safe , be well , let's pray for some rain , Bob k
Coming from the West Coast I have to laugh at this, because it sums up our summer perfectly.

rustystud

Out West and in bigger cities it is fairly common, sadly. There was a fire, the Clayton Fire, that ripped through Lower Lake this summer destroying 300 buildings, cause, arson. And now Prop 47 makes the situation worse.

Coming from the West Coast I have to laugh at this, because it sums up our summer perfectly.
I know what you mean. Up here in the Pacific Northwest the summers are so dry we get forest fires every year. Then in the fall and winter we get so much rain the ground is saturated and then the winds come and blow the trees down. Then in the spring because of the water the vegetation grows so fast and so much it's almost like an algae bloom. Then the dry summer and "repeat" .

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
:DIt's raining!!! We are getting some rain in the North Georgia mountains tonight and are expected to receive a lot more in the next few days. Hopefully, this will slow the fires down. :grin::grin::grin:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks