• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rockwell axle ratios

AMX

I have considered just using the drivetrain from say a international 6x6 commercial truck, I know they run more than 48mph with the Dt466.

tm america

Exactly my point.Cars don't have the gear ratio needed to pull the weight or tire size that the deuce does with 140 hp. You are proposing getting rid of the gear ratio it takes just to get things moving with 14000lbs 41 inch tall tires and 140hp

oddshot

I have had my AMX for over 30 years now.

I have been wanting a military truck for over ten years, it is just time.
AMX?

The American Motors product?

THAT "AMX"???

Somehow I missed the significance of your ID.

What year is your AMX?

Is it stock?

Pictures?

Although I am a British Car junkie ... I always thought that the AMX was one of the few sports cars that America got correct. Years ago I had a friend who had one ... a white one with a blue racing stripe.

But I never got the opportunity to drive it.

Tell you what ... I have a 1968 American General that I'm bobbing ... I should have it rolling by the end of this week (except for paint and the pretty bits) ... but it runs well.

And, other than the bob job ... it is bone stock ... on stock tires. And here in NoGa we got ALL the hills you'll ever need.

I'll make you a deal. If you ever make your way down to these parts ... I'll let you drive mine ... if you let me drive yours.

oddshot

tm america

a stock deuce will run 56mph.with 11.00s your at about 62-63mph. and with 15.5s-395s you're at 69-70mph..anymore than that and you're asking for problems when it comes time to stop.. i ussually keep mine under 65 and i have 15.5s..

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Quite simply M35's were designed 60 years ago . They weren't build for speed , they were designed to carry heavey load at low speed over any terrain . They have a single circut brake system that was designed in the 1940's . They lack stopping power at high speeds and a leak anywhere in the system and you have no brakes . When they were first built there was no interstate highway system or 70 mile per hour speed limit . the bottom line is deuces are big heavey and slow , so if a deuce is what you want sit back and enjoy the scenery at 50 MPH and the motor will serve you well continually red line it and you will end up with a vented block . 2cents

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
as far as i'm concerned, there is nothing wrong with some simple upgrades to bring a deuce into the 21 century, i.e brakes, steering etc.

deuces with good brakes do not lack stopping power. mine will stop just as good as most cars from 67 mph. with radial tires it will make them sing easily and bring you to a quick stop.

tom

oddshot

1) As far as i'm concerned, there is nothing wrong with some simple upgrades to bring a deuce into the 21 century, i.e brakes, steering etc.

2) Deuces with good brakes do not lack stopping power. Mine will stop just as good as most cars from 67 mph. With radial tires it will make them sing easily and bring you to a quick stop.

tom
A BIG OLD plus one on the first part ...

AS for part 2 ... it ain't that the brakes aren't up to the task. Heck ... the motor driving public ran with straight drums brakes for near one hundred years.

If you keep them in good shape ... and drive with your head in the game ... you could do just fine.

Its that pesty single circuit that doesn't allow much room for a failure.

Its kinda like taming lions with no health care insurance ... yeah ... you could do it for YEARS and never have a problem. But one day ... you COULD get bit!

I know I recently saw somebody tracking down a way of improving whats there ... using some American Motors Product ... a master cylinder out of a Hornet Wagon or something ... As long as the bores are the right size ... it might be a good/cheap way to a dual circuit.

I'll have to do a search.

oddshot

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
that's why all my trucks are upgraded to dual circuit and also full air over hydraulic. approx 5 lbs of pedal pressure will lock the brakes.

tom

oddshot

that's why all my trucks are upgraded to dual circuit and also full air over hydraulic. approx 5 lbs of pedal pressure will lock the brakes.

tom
VERY cool.

That is a little down the road for me ...

I'll have to make do with stock system, properly adjusted, properly bled.

oddshot

trukhead

4. Cleanse yourself of all earthly impurity of thought, word or deed. Assume a lotus position. Begin by chanting your mantra or by intoning the Hara Krishna, and continue until you have become ONE with the universe and ALL knowledge. ...8)

oddshot
Seems to help on the porcelain throne in a nice regular seating position as well:D

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks