• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rockwell Camber Issues

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Doubt that it would have any effect on it but the front axle in the Dodge is in backwards. + camber is engineered into the housing. Chucks in Orlando cuts the housing to relieve that camber. Might check to see if you can get some tapered spindle shims to bring it closer. Losk like someone was welding on that axle too.

DriveTime

He has the housing flipped around to make it driver's side drop to match his transfer case. He swapped the knuckle side to side to get the tie rod behind the axle like it normally is.

I have the same problem with my axle and the only welding done is the spring perches on top of the axle, which should have alleviated the problem if I had a bent housing. Nothing is binding is my axle, so I don't think the housing is bent. Other guys who run Rockwells don't seem to have this problem, whether they have welded on the housing or not, so we've been thinking it is something else. I'm all ears on possible solutions though.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Wow, that's a lot of positive camber!

spicergear

That dude is also forgetting that the stock deuce tire on a good day is nearly 39" tall. He's running a 48" tall tire. THAT in itself will greatly accentuate the angle by just making it 'look' like there's more only because it's farther out from top to bottom. If his tire was 30" you'd hardly see it. If it was 10' tall you could stand under it. I'd suggest if anything, loosen up upper and lower caps, put just a little weight on the wheels, then snug them up again and grease them. He also has welding done to the axle which can pull them around a little. I posted a couple of pics below of Velvet, my big dumb M715 and her camber. Also a pic of the MASSIVE amount of weld on the BOTTOM of the axle. ...just food for thought-

Attachments

DriveTime

The off road guys love them. You can do your own "mohawk" with a few pieces of plate. I will dig up a link if you'd like.

As far as the camber, this guy is running a 46" tire, I'm running a 48" tire, but I've seen plenty of guys with 52s or even bigger that didn't seem to have this problem. Neither one of us has done any welding on the bottom side of the axle, so I don't think our housings are bent from that. I will try loosening the caps and them tightening them with a little weight to see if that does the trick.

Twinpinion

DriveTime said:
This guy and I have the same problem trying to fix the camber on our Rockwells. I was hoping somebody here would be able to help. Here is a link to Pirate with details and pics on the problem.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?p=5630592&posted=1#post5630592
Check the toe-in. Too much will make it look like the the axle has too much camber. Shoot for 1/4-3/8 inch toe-in at the tires. Check it at the axle centerline on the front and backsides to get this measurment.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: Rockwell Camber Issues

Perhaps some of the other fuys are running a narrowed front axle with 2 short sides. Lots of folks take the extra camber out when narrowing the housing.

tcruwithme

So ... about that camber issue. I know this thread is eight years old, buy can anyone give me some guidance as to how the axle is cut and welded to adjust camber? I am a long ways away from Orlando, so I'll need to find someplace local to do this.