• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rockwell pinion bearing help please

dodge6bt

OK I noticed today that my front drive safe had some up and down movement. Took if off. Took the front of the flange on the axle to look at the bearing it looks good but the bearing race was about to fall out of the axle. Does the race have to be pressed in the axel or does the flange hold it tight.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

rustystud

A little confused here. Are you talking about the front differential axles ? Or are you talking about the "pinion" shaft bearings on the differential ? A picture would go a long way in helping diagnose the problem.

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree with rustystud, a picture would go a long ways toward helping us give you some help. Right off from your description I would say no races should just fall out.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
........ it looks good but the bearing race was about to fall out of the axle. Does the race have to be pressed in the axel or does the flange hold it tight.....
From factory it's a snug fit in the best case, and the cup (#29521) may have spun already, inside the housing. So, yes it could fall out, after that ("flange")retainer (#8757660) was removed.

The retainer only keeps the cup in place but does not prevent the same from spinning. So take a closer look where it comes to rest (arrow in picture, below). I've found retainers with quite a groove worn-in, from the cup working loose, which then obviously contributes to that excessive play.
(Of course, that can be compensated by reducing the total shim-pack thickness, accordingly.)

G.

Attachments

Last edited:

dodge6bt

I have taken some shims out and it has helped a lot.a slight bit of movement up and down but no were near what it was before. If I take shims out of the front will it help tighten it up also.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Be careful when taking shims out at the rear side; those are the ones which set the pinion depth! Better adjust to zero play (or very slight preload) by reducing shims at the front side! That, if both bearings are found to be OK, of course!

No, the pinion nut(s ) have no influence, in this case. Just tighten to min. 300 ft-lb and a little more to just fit the cotter pin.

Attachments

dodge6bt

OK I got a lot of play out of the system the front had like 20 shims I put the original back in the back and took some out of the front. the shaft spins freely and no up and down movement. Still going to do bearings soon tho.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks