• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rockwell Steerable rear axle

michigan

Hello Len here from Michigan. My first post. If I am in the wrong area for this question would someone please post it in the correct area if that is possible.
I have a big old tractor called a M R S Mississippi Road Service; they were used in Vietnam to pull dirt pan scrapers etc. Mine is the Industrial I-80 with a 4-71 Detroit.
This tractor is 4x4 and 4 wheel steer. The rear axle is a model number of
PS 251 HX 12 and it is a Rockwell. It has outboard Planataries. OIl is leaking from the Differential out thru the axle tube and coming out near the brake area and dripping on the tire. I am trying to find out what the weight of this axle is called---5 ton bigger--smaller??? Also would like to know what other military units or non-military units used this axle..
Would also like to find a good picture to see where the oil seals are located if possible.
Thank you len

Attachments

Last edited:

michigan

Posting a pic(of your axle) would help a lot.
Welcome!​
I have a few pics loaded--wasn't sure I could do it--thank you...
mrs.jpg mrst.jpg mrsl.jpg
This? MRS was in Flora MS think they got bought by Taylor Machine Works.

Don't know which one but Bantam Cranes used the same PS 251 HX 12 axle.

Last edited by a moderator:

michigan

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If the planetaries are a Rockwell item, it may be possible to get build data from Rockwell/Meritor. I called them regarding an axle under an old fire truck and received some good information on bearings and seal sizes.

https://www.meritor.com/Contact/default.aspx

If the planetaries were fitted by the truck manufacturer, then you may not get any assistance on them through Rockwell/Meritor.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks