• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

rockwell wheel spacer

bachman502

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just added 11Rx20 G177 goodyears in the dual configuration to my truck. When I steer hard the rear axles shift and just barely rub the bolts on the grease cap on the idler arm. I have taken a bolt out and will continue to monitor it to see if it rubs without the bolt in place. However just for piece of mind end extreme axle bind I would like to space the duals out maybe 1/4 to 1/2 inch out. I know I can cut up old rims to make a spacer but I was concerned that the holes in the rims are 1 1/8 not 3/4. I wanted them to be a nice tight fit. Yes I can maybe make them myself or ask locally, but does anybody know someone on the forum that can make them? Thanks

comdiver

I have a good friend that can makes the plates for you. Of course the 1/4" will cost less than the 1/2". The plate will cost almost 2x's as much and the labor to cut 1/2" takes longer. Is there a chance that something is worn back there that is allowing that much play? I have a complete rear setup if you need parts or I can get a good price on the plates.

Barrman

Umm, how are your torque rod ends? I thought of them and your wheel bearings being way out of adjustment when I read your post. The axle shouldn't shift on you. At least not side to side like you described.

I have 11.00-20 NDCC on the back of my M35 and they don't come close to the suspension parts.

bachman502

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looking at the torque rods the bushings look ok. Do you have to disconnect the rod to check for play in the end? I would hate to buy the ends if there ok. Looking at the rear axle setup, I personally dont see how a torque rod can completely eliminate right to left axle movement. Its obvious how it can control forward and reverse of the axles. Both ends of the leaf spring aren't physical attached to each axle. Its also not a tight fit where the springs lay on the axle housing. I have heard of many people on this forum talking about how the rear axles move left or right while turning and the they straighten while driving straight. However I could be wrong. Thanks for any help.

jatonka

I just installed Goodyear G177s on my M109A3 shop van in dual configuration, I will look at it tomorrow and see how close they come to the trunnion cap in a hard turn. The shop van is a little heavier than the cargo truck, should show up if there is much movement. I have ann M50A2 water tanker with 11.00x20s on it and it is kind of a loose truck, but it doesn't leave rub marks on anything under there. I'll let you know what I find. JT

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
the torque rod ends have almost nothing to do with the side to side play, thay keep the axles square with the frame, if you look, the axle is still about square even if the axle shifted in turns. it is the amount of space in the spring pockets on the axle. you could put shims in it to close up the free space and thus lessen side play in the turns. im guessing the wide spring pockets are there to allow the suspension to work in rough offroad conditions , like one tire going into a hole or crossing a ditch at a angle, if the spring pockets were tight doing this, things would get in a bind and BREAK my 2cents

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
my 819 will rub if i have the bridge truck rims on the in side, still have a slight rub even with the correct rims on the inside, this is with 1200s. dont forget the deuce was made for 900x20s duels, which im sure there was NO rub problem, start putting larger tires on and clearances go WAY down

jatonka

I checked my M109 after the cross country trip and sure enough, I have light rub marks on the trunnion bearing caps. No damage to the tires and I haven't done anything to fix it yet. But, I am going to check the bearings in the trunnion and make sure they are properly adjusted. JT

dburd72

Jt thank you for the response. I pulled my trunnion cap adjustment was in spec. Found a fab shop that can make 1/2 plate steel spacer plates if I can find longer rear,wheel studs I,think I'm going to give it a shot

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks