• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rod Bolts

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
Hey all, sorry if this has been covered before but I couldn't find it. Here are some pics of the rod bolts from my blown motor and a rod bolt from a 1990 new manufacture motor, bolt on the right, seems to me the new bolt looks a bit sturdier than the "old" style bolt. The new style has a different stock number than the old bolt, any thoughts?

failed rod bolt.jpgDSC00058.jpg

Last edited:

Heath_h49008

There were a few other threads on rod bolt failures, but nothing I have seen that had this info and certainly no mention of two different style bolts with a failed one, good failed, and new "beefier" style.

Great find and thread! I remember a few folks with resources to test bolts who were offering to test any failed examples. I have Western Michigan University's engineering campus as a playground if nobody else steps up.

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
Well I have a complete set of the "new" bolts, and I don't think I want to part with them. The old bolt has this number: 10935343 on them as noted in other threads, the "new" style bolts have numbers as well, FC 11642059?

Attachments

Last edited:

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
Did more searches and found this, part number 11642059 crosses to NSN: 5306-00-937-2295 which comes back to this Publication TM 9-2815-210-34P, I think I've found a winner! now to find a supplier. . . .

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I don't have much to add other than Westy sent the specs to ARP and their quote to make some was WAY out of line, like $120 per bolt. Finding some of those bigger-badder bolts sounds like the way to go.

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
It might be, except there are no specs on the bolt and no pictures.

Saw that link in another thread.

Last edited: