• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rodent Screens

Toolslinger

Ok... What have folks done for the rodent proofing on the bottom of the 802a? The two holes under the batteries are likely going to be simple. That big ol' square in the center probably more of a pain. I was kinda hoping to find grillwork similar to the sides, and top, but that was just hope based on nothing... I dealt with the sides, top, and outlet today with 1/4" mesh. It'll be safe for a little while as the mice are in their current nests until it gets warm, but I'd like to get it done, and out by the house for potential use... Need to figure out how I'm going to work under there as well. I don't want to work on it hanging from my loader, or chain hoist... Have to put some blocking together.
2024-04-07 15.58.50 (Small).jpg

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Self tapping sheet metal screws and 1/4" hardware cloth cut to the size you want for overlap (8x8 normally does it)

Toolslinger

I've got mesh, so that's no issue.
Is there anything around the perimeter of that hole I need to avoid? Things are a bit dirty, but it sure looked like a piece of fuel line along one edge of the opening... I haven't checked the TM on routing of lines, and it seems like a weird spot, but it sure looked like a braid covered line. I'll check for sure before I punch a screw in there naturally. Nothing saying someone didn't run something strange at some point.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Should be no fuel lines to worry about.. just watch for any draped battery cables. All thats really under there is the foam backing on the raised plate under the engine.. just go with 1/2" long screws and shouldnt be an issue.

Toolslinger

Well, there's good news, and bad news...
I got the screens done. Yay!
Prior to that, I had to pull the batteries out so I could figure out what I was seeing/feeling right at the edge of the opening. It was in fact braid covered fuel line. It is the fuel drain line. I have to go through the TM, because it strikes me as a) more line than it actually needs, and b) I don't quite know why it runs to the far side of the battery, rather than right out before the battery since there's a hole in the frame there too.

I'll have plenty of time to think about all that, because after flexing that line a little, I now have a fuel leak. Most likely the bulkhead fitting in the tank, but I can't really see the source. I dumped the fuel, and whatever is left in there will just keep dripping until I can round up all the parts... Probably should do the return line too as I noticed it has some abrasion on it that looks like it will be the next drip to happen. Good thing I got the screens done because I can just drop it in the woodline since I'm not going to have diesel dripping out of that thing in my barn

It's just never easy...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks