• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

roll call of EXISTING Vietnam gun trucks

Jollyroger,you will not be stepping on any toes by building a guntruck, either replica or tribute. Costs for either will be about the same depending mainly on the weapons used. For a replica, just pick a period in time, do your research and make an honest effort to do it right. Every truck changed over time so it's virtually impossible to get everything "right". I served on the "Highland Animals" and "Mighty Minny" and both had changes made while I was on them. Main thing is "Build A Truck".

jollyroger

So I guess rather than a replica we would be doing a tribute truck. I had the two mixed up I think....... We just want to build a truck that represents what a period truck would look like but not an actual truck like "Sunshine Superman". I use that "real" truck as an example because we want to build one out of a 5 ton dumper and "Sunshine Superman" was built from a dump truck if I remember correctly. I have done a very small amount of research to date and would be much more thorough when we get to that project. Thank all you guys for the information.

jollyroger

Jollyroger,you will not be stepping on any toes by building a guntruck, either replica or tribute. Costs for either will be about the same depending mainly on the weapons used. For a replica, just pick a period in time, do your research and make an honest effort to do it right. Every truck changed over time so it's virtually impossible to get everything "right". I served on the "Highland Animals" and "Mighty Minny" and both had changes made while I was on them. Main thing is "Build A Truck".

By the way. I thank you for your service to our country and for putting yourself in harms way. You may hear that from time to time but I don't think it is said enough. I try and say it as often as I can when I get the chance.

By the way. I thank you for your service to our country and for putting yourself in harms way. You may hear that from time to time but I don't think it is said enough. I try and say it as often as I can when I get the chance.
Thank you for your kind words. As far as putting ourselves in harms way, we were just young and dumb 19-20-21 year olds that didn't know any better. We went over feeling invincible like nothing could hurt us. If anything bad happened it would be some other guy. Unfortunately, sometimes you're the other guy.

So I guess rather than a replica we would be doing a tribute truck. I had the two mixed up I think....... We just want to build a truck that represents what a period truck would look like but not an actual truck like "Sunshine Superman". I use that "real" truck as an example because we want to build one out of a 5 ton dumper and "Sunshine Superman" was built from a dump truck if I remember correctly. I have done a very small amount of research to date and would be much more thorough when we get to that project. Thank all you guys for the information.
A replica is a copy of an actual truck that existed at one time. A tribute is just a fictional truck that cudda been. I can't speak for everyone, but most of the old guntruckers would rather see a replica but we appreciate the efforts of anyone that takes the time and effort, not to mention the expense, of building one of these trucks.

G. Miskovsky

When stationed in the UK last couple of years I must have seen about 3 different gun trucks...check the photos posted on the War and Peace Show. They had a Vietnam themed exhibit.

Last edited:

m151dave

Business As Usual is a 1st generation M35 gun truck. Armed with two M2HB machine guns and one M60. It also has a working radio and crew intercom system. Small arms on-board includes XM177, M16, M3 and an M79 plus flares, smoke grenades and hand grenades.

Pictures that cover the whole build start to finish is at:
http://guntrucks.multiply.com/photos/album/325/Kansas_Gun_Truck_Project

Last edited:

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can anyone confirm whether or not the quad-50 gun truck "Nancy" is being built? Have heard rumors, but nothing definite....

historyfanatics

Interested in getting a roll call of all the reproduction and tribute gun trucks that have been built in the USA by military vehicle enthusiasts. This would include all the ones patterned after real gun trucks that served in Vietnam, as well as ones that are original creations by their builders.

Please include all those built and under construction, from 1/4-ton to 5-ton.

I'll start the list, from the ones I have seen:

vehicle, repro or tribute, name, owner, location
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
M151 repro, Wolfman
M37 repro, Malfunction, New Jersey
M37 repro, Raider's Light Work, Mike Davidsen, Virginia
M35 tribute, Aces and Eights, John Tennis, New York
M35 tribute, Business As Usual, Kansas
M35 repro, Gamblers
M35 tribute, Grim Reaper
M35 tribute, Have Gun Will Travel, Texas
M35 tribute, I Dream of Charlie, England
M35 tribute, Iron Butterfly, Max Levell, England
M35 repro, Psychotic Reaction, North Carolina
M35 tribute, Squatter Swatter, Florida?
M35 repro, The Gamblers, Michigan
M54 repro, Ace of Spades, Tennessee
M54 repro, Black Widow, Florida
M54 repro, Proud American, Larry Board, Georgia
M54 repro, Red Baron, Wayne Dobos, England
M54 repro, Satan's Lil' Angel, New Jersey
M54 repro, Uncle Meat, Michigan
M54 repro, The Untouchable, William Parker, New Jersey
M54 repro, Wild Thing, Indiana
M54 original, Eve of Destruction, US Army Transportation Museum, Virginia
M813 tribute, Proud American, Larry Board, Georgia

I am currently working on q Quad .50 Gun Truck as a tribute to the Air Defense Artillery units in Viet Nam. The name of my truck is The Widow Maker, and is a replica of the actual truck. Several of her original crewmembers are my advisors on this project.

historyfanatics

I just wanted to add that the truck is a replica of The Widow Maker, and not a tribute truck.

The Widow Maker (real) was based on an M35A1. She went through at least 3 rebuilds that I can find. In her final configuration in 1972, she was on a 5-ton. I'm not sure when that was done, as all her crew I have talked with remember her as a deuce.

I am currently working on getting funding for the quad mount.

I hope to be able to make some of the events, but, y'all are a bit of a drive for me, as I am in Texas.

Some of the work I have done in getting the truck correct to her name includes changing the mirrors and seats out (good bye West Coast mirrors and spring seats - hello small mirrors and box seats), painting (lots and lots of sanding), removing modern parts, etc. No different than anybody else when working on their pride and joy.

As soon as I am able, I will get some photos of the conversion on here.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
"Have Gun, Will Travel" has been renamed, she is now "Bad Ass".

Ed changed the name because he originally didn't realize there was a real truck of that name, and he was building the vehicle as a representative of the breed rather than a replica of a particular one.
Ed met a member of the original trucks crew who loved his truck and told him it was okay with him to use the name, but Ed thought he should change it.

The attached picture is from the Texas Independence Day parade on the 5th. Even though it poured rain, the LSMVPA paraded anyway, we are not afraid of a little water! Our lone WWII jeep driver developed a bad case of cab-envy though...:twisted:

Cheers

Attachments

maverick

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
UPDATE! Since I can't edit the original post anymore, here's the updated list. Please let me know if there are any more out there...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
M151 repro, Wolfman, Ted Ballard, Virginia
M37 tribute, Boonierat, WarrenD, Connecticutt
M37 repro, Wild Honey, Ted Ballard, Virginia
M35 tribute, Assassins, Texas
M35 tribute, Bad Ass, New York
M35 repro, Gamblers
M35 repro, Highland Raiders, England
M35 tribute, Grim Reaper
M35 tribute, quad 50, I Dream of Charlie, England
M35 repro, Psychotic Reaction, Illinois
M35 repro, The Widow Maker, Texas

Last edited:

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
UPDATE! Since I can't edit the original post anymore, here's the updated list. Please let me know if there are any more out there...

M151 repro, Wolfman
M35 tribute, Assassins, Sealy, Texas
M35 tribute, Bad Ass, New York
M35 repro, Gamblers
M35 tribute, Grim Reaper
M35 tribute, quad 50, I Dream of Charlie, England
M35 repro, Psychotic Reaction, Illinois
M35 repro, The Widow Maker, Texas
M54 repro, Highland Raiders, England
M813 tribute, Proud American, Larry Board, Georgia
Mike, the M813 Proud American has been decommissioned since we have the M54A1.
However...I gave the truck to Troy and he is trying to get his funds together to build a tribute GT in memory of LT Fuller...he want's to call her "THE UGLY RANGER".

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks