• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Roll painting a CUCV

detroitdiesel4x4

Since I could say we didn't start off on a good note :p, I figured it was time to redeem myself. After I fix my rockers, and get few body blemishes worked out I was planning on repainting my cucv as the current paint is pretty faded (looks good in the rain). I was reading about people having good luck with Gillespie aerosol cans, but was wondering if anybody has tried rolling paint on. I've had that recommended to me a few times on previous trucks I've painted, and after seeing a few they didn't turn out too bad. Assuming my camouflage is the correct pattern I planned on just scuffing with 220ish grit, and smoothing with 800-1000 grit, and then masking and rolling. Any reason I should stick with the spray gun as opposed to a roller? On a side note, I like the look of distinct edges rather then that overspray look where the colors meet.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you seen the threads on using house paint?

There are a few of them, some give the mix codes for Lowes and Homedepot.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Search the term Behr in the CUCV forum then in all forums. You will find lots of great info and loads of pics.

4-64 Armor

I remember applying camo colors with a paint brush on new M151A2s when I was in Germany... I remember thinking "Wow, I'm painting over this new O.D. with a paint brush! what a shame!" ..... I think I'm going to use a spray gun and paint my M880 with some Majic olive drab from Rural King.:-D

Since I could say we didn't start off on a good note :p, I figured it was time to redeem myself.
No need to redeem yourself. It is most of the others in the other thread that could stand to do so. That was ridiculous And a friendly caution from someone else that seems to take a lot of wrath around here, be very careful about asking any questions that may have been covered elsewhere. 'Nuff said.

Mike

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If its CARC, i'd use something rougher than 220. You'll be there forever.

camogriz

I used the Behr paint formula I found here to paint my hood with a roller. It is not as smooth as it would be using a sprayer, but it was easy. I did follow up and used spray paint to add the flat black camo pattern. I think it came out amazing. I am waiting for warmer weather to keep going.IMG_0179.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks