• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rolling Coal

Status
Not open for further replies.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Back Humvee up to the coal pile,load chunks of coal into cargo area of Humvee,start engine (,can be equipped with turbo,)proceed in forward motion.

But will the EGTs get too high? Will I ventilate the block? Will the sun come up tomorrow?

I agree with Kenny. Whenever I see one of these idiots rolling coal I wish a police could(would) stop them and haul their dumba$$ off to jail for a few days. I like breathing. I like breathing clean air. I tolerate it at truck and tractor pulls and that's it. Do it deliberately on the street and go to jail.

This from someone who owns several diesels.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
But will the EGTs get too high? Will I ventilate the block? Will the sun come up tomorrow?

I agree with Kenny. Whenever I see one of these idiots rolling coal I wish a police could(would) stop them and haul their dumba$$ off to jail for a few days. I like breathing. I like breathing clean air. I tolerate it at truck and tractor pulls and that's it. Do it deliberately on the street and go to jail.

This from someone who owns several diesels.
The people doing this don't care about little details like that , it's all about in their mind "they look cool" , they don't care how it will effect other people or the hobby as long as they think they "look cool"

This kind of reminds of a guy who lived around the corner back in the 70's , he bought a old Harley Sportster and this was when it was getting popular for the Big Twin guys to pull their primary cover and run a open primary for the "cool effect .So this guy sticks a set of 12 inch extended front tubes ( with no rake to the frame) and pulls the primary cover . I think it lasted for about 2 or 3 hour before he blew the cases when the transmission blew , he didn;t seem to understand or care that Sportsters back then had wet primaries and that was how the transmission got oil. But he thought he looked cool for a couple hours , everybody else just laughed at him.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
On the drivers side of the IP there is a small plate. It looks like home plate on a baseball field. remove that plate and rotate the engine by hand. Untill you see a 3/32 socket head screw. rotate that screw about 1/8 turn clockwise. This will increase your fuel rate. If you turn it more than that you will skyrocket the EGT's and melt the piston tops in short order. As stated before you will not get a long stream of black smoke because the gearing is so low. The rpms increase quickly and the smoke will clear up after about 2 seconds. This will help you if you need more power and the truck will accelerate faster. But you will not get a long stream of black smoke like modern trucks. Also Black smoke is burnt fuel. It is just carbon. WHITE smoke is unburnt fuel. And blue smoke is burning oil. Hope this answers your question.

dhaumann69166

Wow....I am blown away by how much everyone here hates rollin coal ������. So many fun opportunities you guys are missing. Some idiot pisses you off in traffic just skip two gears and mash it. Now his cab is full of black and he can’t see. I miss my 5.9 Cummins for that reason. Post #24 is step by step the only safe and effective way to do this in a Humvee.
Gotta love how friendly this forum is....people would rather tell you to destroy your vehicle or spout off random stupidity like cut the injector tips off over seeing you do something they don’t like. On the plus side probably the first time nobody has said read the TM.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow....I am blown away by how much everyone here hates rollin coal ������. So many fun opportunities you guys are missing. Some idiot pisses you off in traffic just skip two gears and mash it. Now his cab is full of black and he can’t see. I miss my 5.9 Cummins for that reason. Post #24 is step by step the only safe and effective way to do this in a Humvee.
Gotta love how friendly this forum is....people would rather tell you to destroy your vehicle or spout off random stupidity like cut the injector tips off over seeing you do something they don’t like. On the plus side probably the first time nobody has said read the TM.
You sound like one of those guys that lights a pile tires on fire when the wind is blowing at his neighbors house in the middle august when all the windows are open.

tage

Turning up pump isn’t really how you’d do this because you couldn’t turn it off. My limited knowledge of this idiotic practice is that it’s intense smoke just momentarily. Normally achieved with special maps on electronic injection. Choking the air might work maybe. But when people say it will ruin the engine what exactly is it that the engines don’t like about it? If it’s temporary and not while towing up a mountain I don’t see why it would really hurt anything inside the truck, rather just the environment outside the truck.
Mechanical injection pump v. Common rail injection are two very different methods.

karlsmith

Mechanical injection pump v. Common rail injection are two very different methods.
Can you elaborate on this and which is more advantages to achieving the rolling coal and/or harmful to your machine? Prior service here, and any smoke that we use (grenades, pots, artillery, mortars, etc.) are all harmful if inhaled in duration as a little cloud of burnt diesel. So we get it that it's idiotic. Not the point of the thread. To me it's as valuable to understand something negative as it is to something positive/safety related.

big block 88

You have been told what the negative out come is for dumping excessive fuel into the cylinders. EGT problems. Spiking egt with crack or melt pistons that can lead to bent rods or broken crank and a windowed block in extreme circumstances, (though with the old detroits its no near as excessive as you may think before **** will hit the fan).

As for the positives.... uhhhh... the 400 lbs chick in daisy dukes at walmart may get a bit clamy after seeing you roll coal and she may persue you on her rascal?

Common rail injection is what more modern diesels have. A diesel isnt just a diesel. There 2&4 strokes, idi, di, mech injection, common rail rail injection. Your detroit is a mech injected idi 4 stroke diesel. It was NEVER intended to make more than 200 hp (guys have gone over 350 in some crazy builds that were big $$$ in the past). You motor is designed to be efficient for its time and keep running. They run cool run on less fuel than gas engines of its time and will handle more abuse at stock power levels than there gas counterparts.

will humvees be the demise of this hobby? Will this guy be able to roll coal with his 130hp 6.2 Detroit? Will this thread keep going?

Stay tuned for this and more on steel soldiers daily.

in all seriousness most guys here just like having fun and being smart asses. Remember this hobby is hurting right now in several states and it is frowned upon in some also. So if we go around making huge clouds of soot it just looks worse. My duramax trucks will "roll coal" on my 500+ tunes but i really try no to as it looks terrible. The 5 ton lets out some healthy soot on the hit of the throttle but cleans up quick with the steep gearing. Smoke is fine in small amounts to me. But "rolling coal" is something that needs to disapear alone with flat bill hats. I hate those **** flat bill hats.

Last edited:

karlsmith

Like it or not, there are many different sub cultures evolving around our machines. From the people that contributed mechanical/functional advise, the answer is clear that it has the potential to really jack up your engine. I guess if you're smart enough to not be that big of an idiot kid, you can always by pass the engine and install a smoke generator that even comes in diesel scent. https://www.harbormodels.com/smokegenerator.html

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
• Do not post information regarding past, current or upcoming lawsuits or litigation.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can you elaborate on this and which is more advantageous.
Common rail allows far more precise fueling.

380hp and 850lbs of torque out of 6.7 liters WITHOUT the idiocy of black smoke, at near factory settings.

Turn it up just a bit, and 500hp/1000lbs is within reach, again WITHOUT a cloud of smoke to piss off the bystanders...

Clean power is the answer....

Edit - and no, i absolutely don't mean engine destroying emissions equipment

Last edited:

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So many fun opportunities you guys are missing. Some idiot pisses you off in traffic just skip two gears and mash it. Now his cab is full of black and he cant see. Post #24 is step by step the only safe and effective way to do this in a Humvee.
.[/QUOTE]

How will that guy react when you ask for his signature on a petition to remove (hypothetical) laws restricting military vehicles to off road only?

How will he respond when the left wants his support for restrictions on MV's?

Every interaction with the clueless masses is an opportunity to make an impression regarding the MV community as a whole. Stop and pull someone out of a ditch. Stop and change a tire. Stop and use your onboard air to inflate their spare that's gone flat from neglect. Smile and wave and let people into the lane in front of you... but please don't antagonize them.

LouWon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So many fun opportunities you guys are missing. Some idiot pisses you off in traffic just skip two gears and mash it. Now his cab is full of black and he cant see. Post #24 is step by step the only safe and effective way to do this in a Humvee.
Very well said 98G

How will that guy react when you ask for his signature on a petition to remove (hypothetical) laws restricting military vehicles to off road only?

How will he respond when the left wants his support for restrictions on MV's?

Every interaction with the clueless masses is an opportunity to make an impression regarding the MV community as a whole. Stop and pull someone out of a ditch. Stop and change a tire. Stop and use your onboard air to inflate their spare that's gone flat from neglect. Smile and wave and let people into the lane in front of you... but please don't antagonize them.[/QUOTE]

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks