• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Roof lights/top cab lights

anjay22

I tried to do some research to see if some folks put up a light rack on their cab and found nothing. does anyone have any ideas/advice on what i should do to make this happen?:grin:

Attachments

Josh

I built a light bar that utilizes the convoy light/gunring leg mounts on the back of the cab. Plan on running 9 6" 100w lights. Bout a bunch of the HF 6in housings and replaced the bulbs. Ill try and track down a picture of it for ya. Its currently off of my truck.

I'm building one that will mount to the outside of the windshield frame like the ones on a wrangler. This way I can leave clearance to remove the top, I had also considered giving it a 90 degree folding capability so it will still face forward if the windshield is folded flat against the hood.

saddamsnightmare

:whistle:June 21st, 2012.

Perversely interesting! Why not just mount a 24VDC landing craft light like the Pittsburgh Railways Interurban PCC's used on the roof? 1 light and you will set trees in fire a half mile away!

M1031CMT

Build/Install a roof basket. That will give you a perfect place to mount lights like I did on my truck.

I can give you a link to a pdf which contains instructions from the military to build a roof basket for the M35 if you want.

Attachments

I mounted mine on the forward most canopy bow and I shortened the legs by about a foot so that the lights sat closer to the roof line. In the future I will probably weld this assembly to the outside front of the bed so I can still use the cover if I want. However, I kinda like how it is now because I can quickly remove it if I need to.

I got the lights on sale at harbor freight for like 8$ each. I then installed 24v 100w bulbs and spray painted them since the chrome just didn't look right. They are powered from a McMaster Carr distribution block, four 24v relays, four in line fuses, and are switched from an under dash switch buss that I made.

Attachments

Titanium Soldier

:whistle:June 21st, 2012.

Perversely interesting! Why not just mount a 24VDC landing craft light like the Pittsburgh Railways Interurban PCC's used on the roof? 1 light and you will set trees in fire a half mile away!

Would work great but they may burn up, i did a little looking into it because i have a few sitting around (dont ask me why cuz i dont know) but most will over-heat quickly, gotta remember they are on at speed and the taxi lights burn out all the time because of low airflow

M1031CMT

Attachments

Last edited:

DeucesWild11

You may find that 24v lights can be pricy, if you find some cheap 12v ones you can always change the bulb itself like Rambling Wreck did. I did the same with my off road lights on the front..

Attachments

lost in the bush

LED Lights 9v to 40v.. Can go low dollar up to Ridge Industry 50" strips.. Suggest before you permanently mount any lights test them at night to ensure you do not have a major glare on you windshield.. I did not take my own advise with a set of LED on my F150 roof rack ..

You may find that 24v lights can be pricy, if you find some cheap 12v ones you can always change the bulb itself like Rambling Wreck did. I did the same with my off road lights on the front..
Yeah, I think I paid something like $4/each for the 24v bulbs. That brought my total cost to only about $12/light.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks