• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Roof rack

Mike_Pop

List,

I was able to acquire a Canadian cage for an M101 trailer. I've used the aluminum wire mesh sides on my trailer and put the wire mesh cover on my Blazer. I've managed to moe than double my payload and keep the inside of the Blazer empty for my bed and gear. I've found it to be an excellent addition to the M1009. I've also added a civilian tire rack which also frees up the much needed space for traveling.

Mike Pop

Attachments

Mike_Pop

RE: Re: RE: Roof rack

Graham,

Thanks. I'm able to double my payload and keep the back clear for my bed. I built a plywood shelf that is the same height as the rear seat when it is folded down. I put another piece of plywood over it and then blow up my air mattress. I'm able to keep five milk crates of stuff under the plywood shelf too.

The roof rack has worked well but with the added top weight, I can feel it sway on sharp turns.

Mike

Armada

RE: Re: RE: Roof rack

Those are some great ideas Mike. Do you have any detailed pics of the tire rack? What year trucks had the tire rack? I've never seen a factory one.

Mike_Pop

I don't know if the tire rack is factory or not. I've only seen two Blazers that had them. It sure does free up a lot of space in the rear of the truck and provides a place for a fuel can.

After installing the plywood shelf, it allows me to carry all of my carpentry tools under it, not visible to thieves. Having the tinted sliding windows helps with theft too. I used 3/4" plywood which is strong enough to sleep on or put heavy tools like my mitre saw or air compressor.

I could probalbly make a rack for you at my friend's shop in Albuquerque. He's got a pipe bender and I could weld the rest. Let me know and I will do it when I am out there in October.

Mike

Armada

I like the idea of the extra room in the truck! Do you have any close ups of the rack mounting points? Is there a 'catch' that has to be mounted on the tailgate to keep the swingarm secure?

Jetnoise400

Armada,

I had one on my civvy K5. It was not a GM unit, rather it was aftermarket. On mine, When closed, the rack attached at the hinge points on the corner, top and bottom (brackets bolted into the body above and below the RH taillight), and then had a catch that was bolted to the tailgate. It was an "I" shaped affair, that bolted to the top and bottom of the tailgate and on the vertical that connected the top and bottom, a pin stuck out that the rack grabbed with a spring loaded lever.

Hope that describes it somewhat. Wish I had photos of it, but that was a loooong time ago

Mike_Pop

Sean described the rack pretty well. However, I will try to get some photos of mine.

I'm not too crazy about the pin and how it locks. I did some wheeling and the tire rack unhooked and swung open. I need to devise some sort of a lock. On the Ford Broncos, the rack system much better from what I've seen a the junk yards.

Mike Pop

Jetnoise400

Yeah, I remember mine was a bit loose too. I wound up attaching some rubber "shims" where the bar met the pin bracket, as well as putting a little stronger spring on the release latch so that it would be more inclined to stay put when bouncing around.

charlietango

looks great! I was thinking of doing this exact same thing after seeing the new Gwagon units the Canadians have up here. Looks trick when its loaded up. I also wanted to put a rear mount swing gate for a spare. we think alike

Mike_Pop

I posted a new thread on the tire rack, with pictures. But for now, here is a shot of the plywood platform I put in my M1009. I keep bins of stuff underneath from prying eyes and it provides a sturdy platform for tools or an air mattress when the rear seat is folded down. For now, this is temporary. I'll probably add some steel for strength.

Mike Pop

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks