• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rookie with new m101a1, pintle hook questions and more

nhdiesel

Yea no kidding. 1/2" fine thread Grade 8 bolts have a tensile strength of 24,000 lbs. each. If you have more than 96k lbs. pulling on that hitch, you have bigger problems to worry about.

Jim

nhdiesel

I prefer overkill myself as well...but the actual pintle is still bolted on. this was for hauling two M105s home behind my Durango.
01.jpg
02.jpg
03.jpg

Jim

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Because when you weld it, it will never come apart. Like when you realize that adapter it is welded to is a tad too short and you want to put it on a taller one like the one I posted on army surplus warehouse's site. By all means do it the way you are comfortable, but I think the bolts were more than enough. Did you build your house using I beam studs?

Just kidding, don't kill me![thumbzup]

TucsonVTXF

nope it wont be a tad too short for my set up and i have no plans for a m105a2 or anything that higher. so i am good with the hight on my truck.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pintlles do wear out. With that unit I suppose you could replace the ball. I have towed deuces with my setup and no issues. I use 4 Grade 8 bolts with locking nuts.

ida34

why F**k around and not pull out the new lincon 180 mig and make sure it will never come apart!!! I am going to use it on a m101a2 if my EUC ever clears>>>

Because it never comes apart. I have to agree with others. Better to bolt it with the correct grade 8 fine thread bolts. The military bolted them on. I would even bet your hitch is bolted on. Does look like overkill to me but I am sure you have plenty of peace of mind knowing it will not break off.

TucsonVTXF

its not a big deal even if it is welded on to replace the pintell just grind off the welds and replace it.... i used grade 5 bolts so that is why i welded

Last edited:

Nick

hey Nick, where did you get the parts to make that receiver? i am googling it and dont see one like yours. that is exactly what i need for my bronco, adjustable it is. can yaw give me the height of the eye when the trailer is level so i can measure up and make the kit the right towing height? thanks
The lunette sits at 26" when level, with the lunette angled down and unhooked from my Dakota. The pintle sits at 24 1/2" when installed on the Dakota. When the trailer is set on the pintle, it squats the back end of the truck now that I have the spare tire on the tongue. Without the tire on it, it barely squats the truck at all.

But, its not gonna be behind the Dakota when the Power Wagon is done. And since the Power Wagon is on jackstands, Im not sure how it will sit, I do know Ill hafta turn the lunette to angle up though

Nick