• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Roscommon 12volt conversion the BEST!

math1960

The only reason I still have this old m1009 is because of this conversion. I'm no mechanic but if you can follow instructions, this is very doable. This truck's electric problems were solved by the 12volt conversion and I'm actually enjoying driving it instead of having the biggest, ugliest, yard ornament in the neighborhood.

Before you think of doing the conversion, get yourself a 15mm socket, some small standard crescent wrenches, liquid electric tape and some regular 3M electric tape (3M sticks better).

I'm really enjoying this truck and people get the **** out of your way when you drive down the road.

K9Vic

The only part on a CUCV other then a M1010 that is 24v is the starter and you will not find very many here that would agree that 12v conversion is good. There is really no benefit going to 12v other then savings money when your starter goes out with a 12v one. The 12v and 24v do not cross and it is easy to install many 12v accessories on the 12v battery side. If you have starter relay problems, then the doghead conversion is perfect. I myself would not convert to 12v, the 24v CUCV is a good system and if you follow the TMs you can fix and keep it 24v.

math1960

What you say may be true but, I rebuilt my alternators twice then the starter went out. When I rebuilt the starter to 12volt and did the conversion, I've had no problem starting or recharging my batteries. I'm no mechanic but I know what worked for me. Also, I believe in KISS. Keep It Simple Stupid. There is no mystery to this system now and I can go to Autozone if I need a new starter or alternator.

rnd-motorsports

As k9vic stated alot on here like the 24 volt starter. thats fine for a daily driver I like the 12 volt also less parts to go bad and with a gear reduction starter no start problems! :driver: